• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brown Bear cam in Estonia (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
Deep in a chunk of the pine forests of north-east Estonia, a small clearing exists. Echoing to the calls of Cuckoos and distant Cranes, a nondescript clearing perhaps, but on the edge, tucked up against the pines, there stand a couple of rather special hides. Constructed by NaTourEst, an Estonian wildlife company, these are the bear-watching hides!

From spring through to autumn, daily offerings of grain, fruit and other tasty morsels tempt in an array of nocturnal visitors, Brown Bears the top billing, Raccoon Dogs, Wild Boars and assorted others also regular.

There is also a live 24-hour cam overlooking the site that offers wonderful peaks into this excellent little spot in the Baltics - take a look in the evenings or at night, almost certainly something to see!

I posted a link of my Baltic Mammal Challenge and it generated interest, so thought it worthy of its own thread.

And from the cam that offers live view of the site (see HERE),

Thanks Jos. Had hijacked your baltic challenge thread a little. I stared looking on Tuesday and have had Racoon Dog(s) and two bears already. I know it's not the real thing but had it on in the background while watching the csi experts last night... One of the bears woke me up by turning or banging the wooden cover (presumably over the food).
Redwing, Cuckoo, chaffinch calling and woodpidgeon and Great Spot Wood on the ground.
Addictive viewing!

One of the bears woke me up by turning or banging the wooden cover (presumably over the food).

The cover is indeed to protect the food - they usually replenish the food mid-afternoon each day and without the cover, I think there would be nothing left by the late evening when the bears usually arrive.

Food is generally, I understand, mostly grain, but with fruit in season, fish, etc.

5 - 5.15p.m. UK time at least 4 Racoon Dogs, one of which was hogging everything under the board. A small unidentifiable animal (young RD?) in the front left watched on in the hope of getting something I think. Hooded Crow, and GSW the only birds I could ID, but a small passerine might have been a Chaffinch.

now the girls are refusing to go to bed because they want to see the bears again!!!

there's a raccoon dog that the bear chased off one food supply and then has waited till the bear left...

ps i do have a life outside of watching this camera.

Bear again in view occasionally 23:50-00:20, distant Nightjar began churring ~00:25, with a closer duet ~00:45. One still churring now.

Times are as camera, full screen and dark room needed for Bear/Raccoon Dog watching at night, AGC 'pumping' makes distant/soft sounds difficult to pick out, headphones should help.

It would be fun to compile a list of stuff we've collectively seen/heard. So far based on the posts:

Mammals:
1) Raccoon Dog
2) Brown Bear

Birds:
1) Hooded Crow
2) Redwing
3) Cuckoo
4) Chaffinch
5) Woodpigeon
6) Greater Spotted Woodpecker
7) Wood Warbler
8) Nightjar
9) Pied Flycatcher

Last edited:
Mammals:
1) Raccoon Dog
2) Brown Bear
3) Fox

Birds:
1) Hooded Crow
2) Redwing
3) Cuckoo
4) Chaffinch
5) Woodpigeon
6) Greater Spotted Woodpecker
7) Wood Warbler
8) Nightjar
9) Pied Flycatcher
10) Raven
11) Blackbird

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back