• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

iduna pallida with unusual bill or opaca? Florina Northwest Greece Jul 2020 (1 Viewer)

bairakta

Good evening i am puzzled regarding the ID of this warbler , it has an unusually long and curved bill with broad and curved base , pale brown upperparts that points to Iduna opaca,and dark lores , pronounced supercilium(?) and pale wing panel that points to iduna pallida , your thoughts please, thank you in advance

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 39
  • ida1-12-jul-2020.jpg
    ida1-12-jul-2020.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 49
  • ida1c-12-jul-2020.jpg
    ida1c-12-jul-2020.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 86
  • ida1b-12-jul-2020.jpg
    ida1b-12-jul-2020.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 68
Good evening i am puzzled regarding the ID of this warbler , it has an unusually long and curved bill with broad and curved base , pale brown upperparts that points to Iduna opaca,and dark lores , pronounced supercilium(?) and pale wing panel that points to iduna pallida , your thoughts please, thank you in advance

Hi bairakta,

A really puzzling looking Iduna and tremendous images as well!
Not surprised that you've had a muted response, although I'd have thought a common courtesy of acknowledgement should have followed?

That said, the subject is a touch incongruous, with such a large bill I was expecting corresponding long primary projections which are not forthcoming!

To my eye at a glance it looks half way between Olive-tree Warbler and Upcher's, however I'm sure someone with a lot more experience will chip in.

Cheers :t:

I certainly donโ€™t have the expertise here at all but I agree with the OP, this seems to show mixed features of Eastern and Western Olivaceous (obviously the latter much more unlikely) - ( I am interested to learn from any discussion here!). Any tail movement noticed? Habitat? Vocals?

Hi bairakta,

A really puzzling looking Iduna and tremendous images as well!
Not surprised that you've had a muted response, although I'd have thought a common courtesy of acknowledgement should have followed?

That said, the subject is a touch incongruous, with such a large bill I was expecting corresponding long primary projections which are not forthcoming!

To my eye at a glance it looks half way between Olive-tree Warbler and Upcher's, however I'm sure someone with a lot more experience will chip in.

Cheers :t:
Hi Ken Thank you for your response Cheers

Last edited:
I certainly donโ€™t have the expertise here at all but I agree with the OP, this seems to show mixed features of Eastern and Western Olivaceous (obviously the latter much more unlikely) - ( I am interested to learn from any discussion here!). Any tail movement noticed? Habitat? Vocals?

Thank you for your response Deb , the bird was stunned after an impact to a window panel , there was no movement of the tail even when it started moving , the vocalization was a low chek.. chek.. chek, after 5 minutes of observation it flew away

Why not Olive Tree? (as Ken mentioned in his post).

Hi jogresh, it is an olive tree warbler indeed , the issue here is that it has features of both western and eastern olive ( Iduna opaca and iduna pallida) and Ken raised the possibility of Upcher's warbler hippolais languina) , it is a puzzling bird

bairakta, could you post pic 1 again showing the bird completely? I agree it looks like an Olive-Tree Warbler and with a little luck on pic 1 the 10th primary could be visible and emarginations could be analysed better...

bairakta, could you post pic 1 again showing the bird completely? I agree it looks like an Olive-Tree Warbler and with a little luck on pic 1 the 10th primary could be visible and emarginations could be analysed better...

Good morning i will check my hard disk later for a better photo if this is not good enough

Attachments

• xP.jpg
    xP.jpg
    986.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Iโ€™m slighty confused here - Olive-Tree Warblers are grey (ish) with white fringes to secondaries and dark/greyish legs and with a long pp - I canโ€™t see that here or maybe Iโ€™m missing something?

And why post for an ID to differentiate between Eastern/Western Olivaceous if it was already agreed by OP that itโ€™s an Olive-Tree (Hippolais olivetorum) (which I honestly canโ€™t see :-C)

Iโ€™m slighty confused here - Olive-Tree Warblers are grey (ish) with white fringes to secondaries and dark/greyish legs and with a long pp - I canโ€™t see that here or maybe Iโ€™m missing something?

And why post for an ID to differentiate between Eastern/Western Olivaceous if it was already agreed by OP that itโ€™s an Olive-Tree (Hippolais olivetorum) (which I honestly canโ€™t see :-C)

Doesn't look like OTW to me either.

Hi Deb it is my misunderstanting!! i am not familiar with the English names of the Birds, NO i do not believe it is Hillolais olivetorum , my initial question that still remains is whether this bird is Iduna pallid or Iduna opaca ,

Well, it clearly is NOT an Olive-Tree Warbler as is shown by the p10 that is distinctly longer than the primary coverts but an Eastern/Western Olivaceous Warbler. Sorry, this seemingly huge bill threw me off and I was misjudging the pp due to the angle. It certainly is seemingly a very broad bill for an Eastern... but I don't know enough about variability there.

I guess in #7 the OP confuses the English names Olivaceous and Olive-Tree sound not that dissimilar after all.

Edit: I see I guessed right it was a confusion of the names...

Well, it clearly is NOT an Olive-Tree Warbler as is shown by the p10 that is distinctly longer than the primary coverts but an Eastern/Western Olivaceous Warbler. Sorry, this seemingly huge bill threw me off and I was misjudging the pp due to the angle. It certainly is seemingly a very broad bill for an Eastern... but I don't know enough about variability there.

I guess in #7 the OP confuses the English names Olivaceous and Olive-Tree sound not that dissimilar after all.

Edit: I see I guessed right it was a confusion of the names...

that is the reason i try to use only the scientific name

[/I][/I]
Well, it clearly is NOT an Olive-Tree Warbler as is shown by the p10 that is distinctly longer than the primary coverts but an Eastern/Western Olivaceous Warbler. Sorry, this seemingly huge bill threw me off and I was misjudging the pp due to the angle....

Thanks Carery for the clarification (I feel strangely very relieved! ;)).

I too think the bill is on the large size for Eastern (even nom pallida) or maybe just a slight abberation?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back