• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Announcing the JUNE theme challenge (1 Viewer)

IanF

For June the theme is 'Humorous Bird Photo'

The entry must contain a wild bird or group of birds showing humour or with a humorous caption.

The rules must be adhered to in order to avoid disqualification - they will be rigidly enforced. The Moderators decision is final.

Rules -

1. Entry to have been taken in the last twelve months.
2. Date taken to be included in the entry.
3. Entry to be uploaded between 1st-21st midnight (BST).
4. Entry must include a wild bird(s).
5. Location taken to be included.
6. Maximum of one entry per member.
7. Only minor image adjustment is permitted, such as cropping, sharpening, contrast, and levels. The photo must not be otherwise greatly manipulated ie. objects should not be added / removed in order to enhance the shot.
8. Once uploaded a photo is classed as an entry and cannot be replaced by another shot. However, you have until the closing date/time of this competition to ensure that your photo meets criteria.
9. The entry must be your own work and not previously submitted in a competition on this site.
10. The bird's common name must be given, though please add the scientific too.

Entries to be uploaded directly by entrants to the Monthly Photo Competitions 2004 gallery.

A voting booth will be posted after the 21st.

Comments on entries are permitted.

Limits on photo size and kb are determined by the Gallery limits.
A list of the coming monthly themes is available in the Monthly Competitions Forum - however they are subject to amendment and designation as 'prize competition' themes which will appear periodically.

One image?

The rules seem to imply that the entry must consist of only one image with optional caption. Would an entry be permitted if it consisted of 4 images laid out like a cartoon/comic with captions, provided that the whole thing was no larger than 800x600 and met the other requirements?

Best Wishes
Pete

If you check the gallery Pete, I have submitted an entry showing before and after a bird was cloned...

el_supremo said:
The rules seem to imply that the entry must consist of only one image with optional caption. Would an entry be permitted if it consisted of 4 images laid out like a cartoon/comic with captions, provided that the whole thing was no larger than 800x600 and met the other requirements?

Best Wishes
Pete

Considering the theme this month, what you propose will be acceptable.

* Should read - 'will not be acceptable' - see reply 10 below.

Last edited:
Uh!

Change of plan - composites will not be accepted.

Several complaints were received due to the nature of these entries containing in effect multiple photos combined into one frame. In hindsight where will it end?

El Supremo, as you did query the validity of such entries before submitting yours, you will not be prejudiced if you wish to submit an alternative entry before the closing date.

IanF said:
Change of plan - composites will not be accepted.
Gthang - this means your entry will be disqualified.

IanF said:
Several complaints were received due to the nature of these entries containing in effect multiple photos combined into one frame.
If mine was such a big problem, I don't see why Gthang's didn't create the same flood of complaints.

IanF said:
In hindsight where will it end?
I don't share your, apparently apocalyptic, vision of the future. A humorous topic naturally suggests a comic/cartoon format. Each of my images still met the rules by having been taken within the last year and each image had not been modified other than to be cropped, resized and sharpened. Cartoon comments were then overlaid - but these are already acceptable since my one-photo entry (still in my gallery) in the previous humorous photo competition was accepted.

[edit added] PS. To the two people who added a comment to my image, I can't reply to you individually now because IanF deleted my entry and I don't remember who you were. But thanks anyway.

Last edited:
I seem to remeber some one sugesting the entries be reduced to 10 by the Super Moderators. I have been thinking on this and would agree it would be a good idea. This would make voting easier and also give a sub objective other than winning. Any possibility of sothing like this happening?

I would like to complain about the complainers. Just sumbit what you think is your best entry and leave it at that. I didn't get to see the pictures in question, but being this is a fun competition i don't see what the big deal is. If this were a prize competition then that is different.

By the way there are some very funny entries, i enjoyed all of them.

thanks.

I am very dissappointed that my image was disqualified. And I received this news just this morn! I would've reacted much better had I been notified when I first entered my entry. I am wondering if there is any suspicious activity going on in the minds of the photo comp regulators. Especially when I was notified of disqualification two days after the voting booth opened.

gthang said:
I am very dissappointed that my image was disqualified. And I received this news just this morn! I would've reacted much better had I been notified when I first entered my entry. I am wondering if there is any suspicious activity going on in the minds of the photo comp regulators. Especially when I was notified of disqualification two days after the voting booth opened.

Actually Gthang, you were notified by PM before the voting commenced.

On closing of the competition the entries are examined and checked for validity. The entrants of non-qualifying entries are PM'd with the reason - as you were. The voting booth is then posted.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back