• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ideal weather conditions in October (1 Viewer)

johnraven

For a piece of random statistical analysis, would you be willing to offer your thoughts on the ideal weather conditions on the Scillies in October for interesting birds turning up (not just megas, but anything non-native)?
Like, easterly winds, or rain the day before, or low pressure system? What would get you excited if you saw it on the weather forecast?
Thanks!
John

PS I've done this analysis before for Norfolk with a straightforward preference for easterly winds and rain, including correlation with the wind direction in Denmark. But I'm not sure about Scillies.

What I have at the moment are statistically significant relationships with factors that stop people from going birding in the first place (rain and wind speed on the day), and then positive influences from easterly and southerly winds the previous day (blowing birds in).

Strong westerlies the day before may actually be negative, although statistically weak.

Unlike Norfork, rain the day before or on the day does not increase bird numbers, apparently. Also unlike Norfolk, there is no weekend premium (roughly the same all week).

There is a clear trend in bird numbers, peaking on October 15th.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back