• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Sri Lanka (1 Viewer)

DAS

Would welcome any information on birding in Sira Lanka. Intend to holiday there in Jan05. Thanks Dave

Hi Dave

I spent a bit of time there this year, got 31 or the 33 endemics and found a couple of great new sites for the Whistling thrush, Coucal, Frogmouth etc....

If you have some more definite enquiries I'd be happy to oblige....

atb
Tim

Hi Dave
Sounds like Tim has got this covered, but one thing I would recommend would be the use of a guide in certain areas they are worth every penny. I went 9 years ago on my honeymoon and with the help of an excellent guide managed to see 27 endems. Although I would be interested in know what the current list of endems is, as I am sure some of the newer ones are splits that don't know about. It's a great country not only for the birding.

Thanks Tim and Jules for the information. Can you recommend a Field Guide of Birds covering that area thats not too expensive ? Thanks Dave

Dave,

The Jetwing Guides are the only ones who can show you the Owl - and they will!! They formerly worked for Baurs, the former pre-eminent tour company in Sri Lanka.

Ask for Uditha Hettige - he is red hot.

Jetwing advertise in all the birding mags, and they presumably have a website.

A guide will save you days - we saw all the endemics (except the Owl, which was then not available) in 10 days, and got good views of all.

Mail me privately and I will send you my trip report from this March.

The Harrison filed guide is probably the best (though the endems that have been recently split are not in there as species) - it will be available off the web, but is out of print in the UK. Harrison/Worfolk - a field Guide tot he birds of Sri Lanka, OUP, 1999. ISBN 0 19 854960 1 (pbk).

Hope this helps

Sean

Hey Sean...

did you see all the new endems?

Large Woodshrike was a bad miss for me...

three spurfowl though and Ceylon Scaly Thrush

tapes are prohibited in Sinharaja now so bear that in mind.....

the Grimmskipp guide to India covers all Sri Lanka too

Tim Allwood said:
Hey Sean...

did you see all the new endems?

Large Woodshrike was a bad miss for me...

three spurfowl though and Ceylon Scaly Thrush

tapes are prohibited in Sinharaja now so bear that in mind.....

the Grimmskipp guide to India covers all Sri Lanka too

Timmmeeee

Yes, saw them all - we were aware that some splits were imminent, and tried to see as many of the then sub-species as we could.

The Owl can be seen outside the Sinharaja Reserve itself. Not being able to use tapes was a problem when we went, but if you have spent a couple of days at Kitulgala first, there are only two or three things that are essential at Sinharaja.

Highlight of the trip for me was actually not a bird - an immature male Leopard sauntering around some bushes in Yala at 20 metres took the biscuit (not literally)!!!

Cheers

Seamus

Hi Sean
Brilliant, would have loved to have seen Leopard ourselves, we did manage Sloth Bear which was pretty awesome, there meant to be more dangerous/unpredictable than Leopard.

I'm doing a trip there myself in late Feb '05 through Baurs.

If you share any gen for SL Whistling Thrush, G-b Coucal, Frogmouth and SL Spurfowl, I'd really appreciate it. We're probably going to have a go for Painted Francolin around Bibile - I've a couple of sites for this, any others would be appreciated.

Thanx

Andy

Tim Allwood said:
Hi Dave

I spent a bit of time there this year, got 31 or the 33 endemics and found a couple of great new sites for the Whistling thrush, Coucal, Frogmouth etc....

If you have some more definite enquiries I'd be happy to oblige....

atb
Tim

I am going to Sri Lanka this week. although we are on a tour of the island, I plan to escape to do some birding, wife permitting. Please could any one help with details of local guides . hopefully there might be other guest who would like to come along ?

Alternatively would welcome locations of birding sites?

Thank you
Please send info to matt dot coumbe at btopenworld.com

Thanks to every one who helped with advice. i have just got back. Had agreat time and saw alot of birds including:painted stork, open bills.crested hawk eagle, brahminy kite, red and yellow wattled lapwings, various kingfishers (very common) cattle and great egret, green bee eater, brown shrike to name just a few. Also visit Yala NR and saw Crocs, elephant, mongoose, spotted deers etc.

Visited Victor Hasselblad turtle hatchery at Kosgoda on road to Galle. It had been destroyed by the Tidal wave, but has now been rebuild and was looking afterlots of green turtle eggs,turtles are released 3 days after hatching. there was alot of UNHCR, Sri Lankan red Cross, and American aid tents in the area, and it was apparent that a lot of rebuilding had taken place. The Hatchery appears to have been totally rebuilt.

Matt Coumbe
[email protected]

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back