• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can anyone identify this bird? (1 Viewer)

bigbird33

Spotted flying over Berkhamsted Common, Herfordshire, UK.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 6caeadea-8463-43f7-aa1c-1bc5fbd1d74e.JPG
    6caeadea-8463-43f7-aa1c-1bc5fbd1d74e.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 203
Hello Bigbird,
welcome to the forum! Very interesting picture, please note the following:
your bird looks strange/weird, maybe this is due to sharpening effects. If taken with a mobile phone, more photos could help because I have the feeling that this single picture doesnt represent the real and "full" appearance of this bird (due to bad sharpening/internal camera processing" effects (I hope thats understandable, I am no native speaker)
I think you have excluded the possibility of a artificial object like a Child Kite?

Again to late with my answer, I think you are right, Gerald. I had the same thoughts and looking again, this would explain the cross-bars that are visible in the head-breast area.

Hi Gerald and Alexander,

I am so sorry, the picture was sent to me by my brother, who took it while he was running on the common. He now believes that it was most likely a toy and I agree. Both he and I are completely embarrassed. Thank you for being gentle with your replies to such a stupid post! I spent a lot of time looking in my bird guides and was excited that it was something I had never seen before!

We all make mistakes - you should have seen some of my early posts!

Quite frankly I’m not sure I’m much better :)

I've mistaken balloons so many times for migrating birds, it's not even funny.

No reason to worry here! Please post again if you have future questions.

Bigbird...there was thread recently in the "Ruffled Feathers" section about "Stickbirds"...birders mistaking sticks, branches, plastic bags, all kinds of stuff for birds (usually rare ones!) I once spent a long time watching a dried-out lump of cow-dung, through a telescope, convinced it was a Dowitcher or something. At least your friend´s photo is a bird of sorts!!!;)

Bigbird...there was thread recently in the "Ruffled Feathers" section about "Stickbirds"...birders mistaking sticks, branches, plastic bags, all kinds of stuff for birds (usually rare ones!) I once spent a long time watching a dried-out lump of cow-dung, through a telescope, convinced it was a Dowitcher or something. At least your friend´s photo is a bird of sorts!!!;)

Here's that thread Sancho: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=385278&highlight=stickbirds

Though I seem to remember another one years ago (many years ago I think).

The great Bryan Bland once showed his group (in Southern Spain somewhere I think) a Great Bustard displaying. It turned out to be a man on a bicycle...

Don't worry. We all do it!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back