• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (1 Viewer)

Ian - just out of interest mate, did you have a chance to peruse that flock of Godwits to see whether any were juveniles?

Laurie:t:

There were none there this morning so can't tell you. Did see on Twitter, a flock of a similar size had been reported flying from east to west but I can't remember from where and I can't find the Twitter feed now.

Variety from this morning early....CLP.

Heron on south lake by fishing pools. Redshank on Hippo pool and main lake. RPlover main lake. Tern cavorting ! BHG feeding a youngster.

No sign of RC Pochard female, nor Dunlins & Sandpiper.

Loads of Sand Martin's.

imgonline-com-ua-resize-WUVyoybR4tM.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-TfhVKr0qUPQ.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-bvy2F9bSivw.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-O0kGxddDFvcaC.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-l7Me9joB2Ys.jpg

Sunday morning a female redstart was at Holt but none were seen around Grimley . Holt was also sporting a new camp site between Sling pool and the recently dried flash , with a group of 6 separate campers , not. Good for the birds 50metres away . I wondered why they were levelling the ground over the last few weeks and presumably putting in a water supply.
Hobby over Grimley around 9:30 am heading West over the wood.
4 little Egrets flying over Wagon wheel pools .
12 species of butterfly seen on quite a windy day, gatekeeper, Marbled White, Red Admiral and Holly Blue, The best

This morning CLP.....

LRP juvenile, OYC & chick, Reed Bunting ...Hippo pool. Wren in hedge, 2 Redshank & 3 juvenile ( growing up) & Little Egret ...main lake.
imgonline-com-ua-resize-ngYaRa1Vf6axv64.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-UhoqWlOY76t.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-hEoIKmkaKugeNBF.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-oq8VOhfrLKRUx.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-nSg8IdQn7Vh.jpg

This morning CLP..... A Fox was having a stroll around the lake !

3 Lesser or Great BB Gull Juveniles or Herring juvenile (ID - Nutcracker thinks Herring....I still think GBB as they were very big) were displaying beautifully over the main lake, swooping and dipping in to the water. They dwarfed everything except for the swans. Photo is at 150m away so looks smaller.

Reed Warblers really busy feeding. OYC adults with chick...getting bigger now. Green WP landed close to me on the central pathway between the Hippo and Frog pool.....very kind of him.

Sparrowhawk juvenile sitting at entrance to pathway...couldn't get a pic.

imgonline-com-ua-resize-bor4MAVhQsq.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-1vGOIgVQewmIc.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-uq3wDw9fD4NB5HUz.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-loHLujTvyJNXEH.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-8elqATCjWAHpy3jb.jpg

Last edited:
Thursday evening till late , Redstart, 2 Little Owls and 13 Little Egrets in roost.
Young Tawny Owlin the Rectory grounds

Attachments

• P1020688.JPG
    P1020688.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 22
  • P1020697.JPG
    P1020697.JPG
    318.8 KB · Views: 26
  • P1020701.JPG
    P1020701.JPG
    272 KB · Views: 26
Saw 22 little Egrets 3 years ago, which is my highest count for Grimley ,that was also at roost. I would have to backtrack through the forum but I am pretty sure it was later in the year —- end of August. So plenty of time to beat that record ——- I hope.

Saw 22 little Egrets 3 years ago, which is my highest count for Grimley ,that was also at roost. I would have to backtrack through the forum but I am pretty sure it was later in the year —- end of August. So plenty of time to beat that record ——- I hope.

Yes, it was late summer from mwmory

Sunday morning ,Sling/Holt, Red Kite ,Hobby and 7 Common sandpipers possibly more , difficult viewing .
Church Farm Greenshank at 8:30 but left shortly after towards Wagon Wheel
CL Pits Mediterranean Gull around 9:00 am, didn,t see it it later among C20 BH Gulls but most were sleeping . Another Hobby feeding over the lake. 62 species seen

Attachments

• P1020702.JPG
    P1020702.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 26
  • P1020703.JPG
    P1020703.JPG
    276.4 KB · Views: 22
  • P1020708.JPG
    P1020708.JPG
    304.5 KB · Views: 29
CLP....7.20am

9 Black T.Godwits on west shore main lake
3 L Egrets
1 Med Gull
1 Black B Gull

Also pics....Reed Warbler & Little Grebe ( always difficult to catch as they're always under water).

imgonline-com-ua-resize-3apaz3Oc34AfJ.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-ftLoPYAtgAL.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-rDg5GLnoOm.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-ry7KtenXYhrlA.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-AlPzQrBOIfgOdEs.jpg

From Thursday evening, first bird on arrival Peregrine flying from direction of CLPits ,circled twice over the rectory garden gaining height before flying of towards Top Barn Farm.
Wagon Wheel quiet but held 3 female Mandarin all distant.
Along the river a further 2 Mandarin .
CL Pits a single Green Sandpiper was eventually joined by 18 Little Egrets in the roost.
A young Sparrowhawk landed on the gate I was viewing from , that’s what you call a close encounter !

Sunday morning started with a new bird for the year aCurlew which i could hear while crossing between the pits at Church Farm ,at Camp Lane Pits. Said bird then appeared flying over me and heading North, just before 7:00am. Hobby also here harassing hurrindines.
An adult and 4 juvenile Redstart retreat pool and hedgerows. 2 Mandarin on the river ,which i think are this years young instead of 2 females which i thought in an earlier post. Unfortunately the pictures don't do the birds justice --shocking .See Carl Jones {twitter} for better shots .
On returning to CLP later in the day Willow warbler and a Lesser Whitethroat along the West hedgerow.

Attachments

• P1020718.jpg
    P1020718.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 20
  • P1020720.JPG
    P1020720.JPG
    327.3 KB · Views: 19
CLP this morning early.....very quiet. Usual suspects plus L Egret and 2 separate Sparrowhawks on pathway between lakes...one went N one went S.

Few pics....

imgonline-com-ua-resize-XNullDCuif1g.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-wA5pB6OJeK.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-2b8nFnQtGeED.jpg

one Dunlin and 2 Common Terns. One tern was ringed, looked like a green ring with white lettering, but I couldn't read the letters.

There are 11 different ringing schemes for Common Terns using green rings - would be good if someone could get a read

Users who are viewing this thread

Back