• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FoD break (1 Viewer)

Mahsleb

Hi Everyone

We're just back from a fabulous break in the Forest of Dean
We stayed at Whitemead Forest Park in Parkend, just across
the road from Nag's Head reserve
The weather was good, the birding was great and I
added several ticks to my year list and three new lifers!

On the way there we stopped at Watlington, Oxfordshire
where we got great views (and pics!) of Red Kites, 14 in the air at one time!

Here's the list, lifers in bold

Red Kite
Goldcrest
Buzzard
Nuthatch
Goshawk
Raven
Peregrine
Great Grey Shrike
Grey Wagtail
Reed bunting
Hawfinch
Bean Goose
Kingfisher

We also visited Slimbridge and saw their wonderful
collection of wildfowl but I'm not sure whether or not
some of these can be added to my lists?
for instance I've been scanning the local reservoir for
the reported Red Crested Pochard, at Slimbridge there
were dozens, but are they wild birds?
Your opinions please

I'll post some pics as soon as I get them sorted
Regards to all

the forest is great for birding, was there all day yesturday leading a trip for my local bird club, you might have seen us? we were the weierd looking bunch. anyway, glad you enjoyed your trip. you'll have to go back in the spring when the pied flycatchers, redstarts and wood warblers are back at nagshead.

Looking forward to seeing your pics Tony.....sounds like a wonderful break!
Well done with the Bean Goose,Shrike and Hawfinch.....3 good lifers there!:t:

Hi Tony,
Some years ago I was at Slimbridge , and one the staff told us that the Red Crested Pochard was an escapee, I asume the ones you saw, even if they were outside the fence were the same.
Not tickable I'm afraid sorry.
You chose a great place to stay and to go birding in , and got a nice list, well done on the lifers.
George

Sounds like a good days birding Tony, you done a lot better than I did on my visit with Sue (Pie) last year but proberly the wrong time of the year Oct I think.

As for the ticks that is down to you. Myself, I tick anything I've not seen before. Wild, Tame or escapee, as long as it's not in a cage.

That's a fine list of birds Tony, there's a few in there I'd love to see!:t:

There would have been a few new ticks for me there Tony. All those Kites must have been a bit special. A really interesting day. Likewise looking forward to the pics.

Hi Tony,
Wow what a great list, where was the Shrike btw?
Ive been to the FOD a few times, like Luke says, the Spring is great for Pied & Spotted Flycatchers.
I followed a Raptor ? into the holiday park opposite the Nags Head, if its the same place it looked great. (did'nt get to see what bird it was though)
Like Jim says, we didnt have a good day Birdwise on our last visit, but it all depends on timing.
Looking forward to the pics

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back