• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesvos 2013 (1 Viewer)

Steve Dudley

aka The Toadsnatcher
United Kingdom
It might seem early, but last year the Lesvos 2012 thread was kicked off in June!

As many of us start to book and plan our spring trips to Lesvos, we can use this thread to share news, etc.

For UK birders, the season commences with the first charter flights on 20 April and I will arrive on the island on that date and be present for only three weeks next spring, leaving for Northern Greece on 11 May.

Flights
Unlike last year, I'm not involved with Thomas Cook at all this year so I won't be carrying or providing any information on their flights. You will have to go to their website or agents for all information. I'll post flight information via Athens for those of us not wishing to travel via Gatwick as and when I get it on my website.

Boat trips
I've now given up trying to run weekly shearwater and dolphin trips from Molivos. Its clear the boats haven't go the appropriate licenses etc to accommodate what we want. Shame, they would have been fun!

2013 spring day trips

Heads up for my day trips which are already nearly fully booked for the period 28 Apr - 10 May (a handful of places left on odd days).

No problem with the first week though, 21 - 26 Apr - plenty of places on each trip.

A reminder that the first charter flight runs from Gatwick on 20 April, and judging by the lack of enquiries I'm getting for that week, there are lots of seats left on it!

Well, have been looking at the reduced schedules for next year - though I have tended to go for Anaxos in previous years, and for the later birds in May, I have found a deal that looks good. Going out on the 20th April for 7 days self catering, based in Skalla Kalloni, at £265 pp. Got to be worth a punt for the earlier migration and at that price.

PM sent, have made an e-mail enquiry to the company to check out that the offer is genuine, and that there are still spaces available.

Mid-April can be excellent on the island. I used to go from c.14 April, but with the shift of the charters starting a week later (as next year from 20 April) then I miss that early week.

The birds of Lesvos (2012)

This is a completely updated set of species accounts for all species that have been recorded up to the end of 2011. It updates and replaces the species accounts in my book, A Birdwatching Guide to Lesvos, and incorporates the three annual bird reports I've published to date, Lesvos Birds 2009, Lesvos Birds 2010 and Lesvos Birds 2010.

The plan is that as of next year, once I have published the annual bird report I will then update this document annually.

Sorry, no pics in this issue as I ran out of time as I need to start work on the 2012 bird report! the 2013 issue will contain images if folk are happy to llow me to use their images.

As ever, this is a completely free publication which can be downloaded from Scribd via the link below.

If you spot any errors please email/message me privately. Thanks.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/112345082/The-birds-of-Lesvos-2012

Lesvos flights

Hi all, Can anyone let me know which airlines have flights from Manchester to Lesvos please? Looking at going the second week in May or thereabouts.
Thanks in advance.

Hi all, Can anyone let me know which airlines have flights from Manchester to Lesvos please? Looking at going the second week in May or thereabouts.
Thanks in advance.

I've been searching too Nick and can only come up with Monarch so far. It looks as if Thos Cook have withdrawn their Manchester packages so any trip would need to be independently booked, which isn't so difficult.

I've been searching too Nick and can only come up with Monarch so far. It looks as if Thos Cook have withdrawn their Manchester packages so any trip would need to be independently booked, which isn't so difficult.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all
Thomas Cook have over recent years chartered Monarch flights for their Lesvos,flying from Manchester packages. Sadly no other UK based package provider,now operates flights to Lesvos. I just did a trawl and Thomas Cook are still showing plenty of packages flying with Monarch, from Manchester from 4 May. The flights are bit basic and if you're tall "extra leg room" might be worth considering.
There are no earlier flights from Manchester by the way.
Best and good luck.
Mick:t:

In time for the 2013 season, I've prepared an online Google map for birders which includes birding sites, petrol stations, routes to/from the airport and info on main towns (banks, ATMs, tavernas, etc).

Its available as link from my website and direct here.

January sightings

2013 has started with a bang with images of the islands first confirmed records of Steppe Buzzard. It looks like at least four birds around and maybe confirms suspicions that they winter on the island but we lack the observers to record them.

The seventh record of White-taield Eagle last week, plus the usual winter fayre.

Further info and images of the Steppe Buzzards and the WTE, plus sightings update at www.lesvosbirding.com

We have a very active Lesvos Birders Facebook group for photo sharing and chat here.

Hi Jason. There are loads of masts on the island, but in this instance it is almost certainly the 'Filia mast' at Agriosikos.

You cant miss it when you drive from Kalloni out through Dafia and head westwards (towards Ipsilou) and at the top of the climb above Dafia, before you drop to Filia, is a huge red and white mast. You turn left at the top of the hill and park at the fork in the track. Search and enjoy! Most reliable site on the island for Eastern Bonelli's Warbler.

Hi Jason. There are loads of masts on the island, but in this instance it is almost certainly the 'Filia mast' at Agriosikos.

You cant miss it when you drive from Kalloni out through Dafia and head westwards (towards Ipsilou) and at the top of the climb above Dafia, before you drop to Filia, is a huge red and white mast. You turn left at the top of the hill and park at the fork in the track. Search and enjoy! Most reliable site on the island for Eastern Bonelli's Warbler.

Many thanks Steve.

With only three weeks to go before our spring season out on Lesvos, if you're wondering where all the chatter is then its on our Lesvos Birders Facebook Group - over 350 of us now on their sharing news, views and photos ahead of going out from 19 April.

If you were thinking of having a day out with me, then I have just 15 places left (out of the 126 places originally available) on my day trips this spring. I arrived on the island last year with only a handful of places left so please don't leave until you're out there. So if you've been thinking of having a day out with me then I suggest booking asap! Click here to see what places are left.

I'm off the leash and coming to Lesvos in 3 weeks for a week of frantic birding (no wife and kids this time). Starting to twitch already, this is bad. any updates re what is hot and what is not much appreciated. :t:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back