• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Verify ID of Birds in Sydney, Australia (1 Viewer)

MariettaBirder

We just returned from a cruise in the South Pacific that ended in Sydney, Australia. In Sydney we had a local birding guide for two day-trips. He was excellent; taking us to most of the good places for birds around Sydney. However, I did get a couple of pictures of birds he didn’t see and identify for me. I didn’t discover these until after we got home.

The first two pictures are of the same bird. I am pretty sure it’s and Olive-backed Oriole. The pix were taken in Cattai National Park; NW of Sydney

The third photo is either an Eastern Yellow Robin or a Pale-yellow Robin. The yellow seems too bright to be a Pale-yellow and it seems to lack the white lores. However, the pinkish feet and white chin would be uncharacteristic of the Eastern Yellow. I have tentatively chosen Pale-yellow for this one.

I am pretty sure the last photo is a Crested Shriketit that is looking right at the camera while hanging upside down from a branch.

The last two photos were taken in Mitchell Park also NW of Sydney.

I will appreciate any help verifying or correcting my IDs.

Attachments

• Aus, Oriole, Olive-backed, Cattai NP, Sydney 5407.jpg
    Aus, Oriole, Olive-backed, Cattai NP, Sydney 5407.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Aus, Oriole, Olive-backed, Cattai NP, Sydney 5410.jpg
    Aus, Oriole, Olive-backed, Cattai NP, Sydney 5410.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Aus, Robin, Pale-yellow, Mitchell Park, Sydney 5405.jpg
    Aus, Robin, Pale-yellow, Mitchell Park, Sydney 5405.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Aus, Shriketit, Crested, Mitchell Park, Sydney 5361.jpg
    Aus, Shriketit, Crested, Mitchell Park, Sydney 5361.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 44
I'm with Andrew on all of them, although Adam is right about the shrike-tits - they are always discussed as a potential split though I don't know if any major taxonomies actually do split them yet (IOC doesn't)

I'm with Andrew on all of them, although Adam is right about the shrike-tits - they are always discussed as a potential split though I don't know if any major taxonomies actually do split them yet (IOC doesn't)

IOC have yet to decide on the proposed split (PS3.4) of Falcunculus frontatus to separate Northern Shriketit F. whitei (NW & N), Western Shriketit F. leucogaster (SW) and Eastern Shriketit F. frontatus (SE).
MJB
PS I await 3 armchair ticks in exchange for one removal from my Oz list...o:D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back