• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starlings, Harare, Zimbabwe (1 Viewer)

Kamba

Hi All,

I'm going around in circles a little bit with these.

The first three were in my garden in Harare last October. The last two in a miombo woodland in Harare today.

I have 1-3 recorded as Greater Blue Eared Starling; and 4 and 5 recorded as Miombo Blue Eared Starling (really only going on the size of the ear coverts).

Am I on the right track here?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    318 KB · Views: 27
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    308.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 26
Many thanks for the reply.

What, exactly am I looking for here? There is an excellent pic in the gallery here of a Greater and Lesser together on the same perch and, apart from the obvious size difference, I still can't tell the difference!

Is there any way, when looking at a single bird, to tell one which one I'm looking at?

Any help much appreciated.

I'm not sure if we'll be able to identify any of your birds with certainty, as these two species are very difficult to tell apart from each other, but here are some id tips if both species aren't present together:
- Miombo Blue-eared juveniles have distinctive chestnut coloured underpants (adults seen with the juveniles can then easily be identified)
- Their calls are different so it'll be helpful to get to know them
- Habitat preferences - Miombo Blue-eared not surprisingly occurs mainly in Miombo, but Greater Blue-eared is uncommon in Miombo

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back