• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird lover on the 14th floor (1 Viewer)

GAM055

Hello,

My name is John and I love wild birds. I live on the 14th floor of an apartment building in Bridgeport, Connecticut - Connecticut's largest city.

I can hear all sorts of birds (especially robins this time of the year); crows nest on the roof and sometimes turkey vultures and birds of prey get amazingly close to my windows!

Do you think there is any chance to attract birds (whether seed-eaters or hummingbirds) this high up? Unfortunately, I don't have a balcony, so I would be using feeders that stick to windows.

Thanks!

Hi John and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

You could certainly give it a go (over here anyway) those feeders aren't too expensive so you won't lose much. It might take a while to see anything, so don't put too much feed in at a time, until you get some action.

I'm lucky in that I only live on the first floor (oh that's second floor to you I think), and there's some hedges, grass around and a neighbour has feeders in her garden. Even so it took about 3 months for the birds to come.

Good luck - I'd love to see you feeding Turkey Vultures at your window!;)

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum! I'm sure you'll find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits. My son lives on a 5th (6th for Americans) floor flat in Cambridge, UK, and although a lot of birds fly over, none visits his large terrace. We lent him a couple of window feeders and gave him the seed for them, but nothing came to them. They were up for about 4 months.

Hi ya John and welcome aboard :t:

I would certainly try the window feeder(s) and please let us know how it goes.

Hello John,

Welcome to the forum. Please make sure that your building management has no problem with feeding birds. My building's management strictly forbids the practice.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hi and welcome to the forum. If management permits I would give it a try.

Oh I forgot to say....

Don't rely on the suckers (they do suddenly fail), try and fix a secondary safety system so the feeder doesn't go crashing to the ground. I've fed some string through the sucker holes brought it through the window and fixed it on the inside. But just do the best you can.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back