• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 greys or 2 greys and a common? (1 Viewer)

GeorgeMac

Sutherland
The two on the right are bull greys. When I took the photo I thought the seal on the left was a female grey, but now looking at it on the computer I'm not sure.

Attachments

• seals.jpg
    seals.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 53
Agree that the difference is quoted as Nutcracker stated, but looking at a selection of photos, I’m less convinced, the shapes seem very similar when the nostrils are open. Convinced that front right is grey, and, for me, so is the left hand one based on this photo, but I would have tried for a profile view if possible to be absolutely sure!

Think all three are Common Seals: \ / shaped nostrils, whereas Grey has | | nostrils :t:
I think a more important criterion than the angle is the distance between the nostrils, which is apparently closer, particularly at the base, for Harbour Seal. To me, all three look more like Grey Seal.

I think a more important criterion than the angle is the distance between the nostrils, which is apparently closer, particularly at the base, for Harbour Seal. To me, all three look more like Grey Seal.
I was thinking they do look quite close together, and particularly at the base! Compare the Grey Seal at AFeather's 3rd link: https://britishseafishing.co.uk/common-and-grey-seals/
Grey Seals too for me. I would have thought Nutty woulds see these regularly on the Farnes, etc.
Usually only distantly, unfortunately! Costs an arm and a leg to go to the Farnes, and I don't like to get close to the ones hauled out at St Mary's Island (almost all yearling pups) to avoid disturbing them.

Attachments

• Picture 016a.jpg
    Picture 016a.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 26
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back