• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-tailed hawk? California (1 Viewer)

LucaPCP

Happy User
Is this a red tailed hawk?

I am in doubt between red tailed and red shouldered, but from Sibley, this seems a light juvenile red-tailed hawk. Am I right?

Photo taken in San Francisco.

Attachments

• 8BE08A2B-77FA-43F0-B04F-50DB07BE8F25.jpg
    8BE08A2B-77FA-43F0-B04F-50DB07BE8F25.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 56
Pale "bib" is much more likely in red-tailed than red-shouldered, but I don't see anything in the photo to make me absolutely certain.

Pale "bib" is much more likely in red-tailed than red-shouldered, but I don't see anything in the photo to make me absolutely certain.

Thanks. Yes, I wish I had been able to better see tail and wings... but I did not want to approach or circle too much to avoid disturbing it.

Looks fine for an immature Red-tailed Hawk (borealis) (pale iris) - bulky barrel shape and sparse upper breast pattern (I donโ€™t have any guide books or range maps so not sure of full geographical range of each of the ssp so fine with calurus based on location)

Last edited:
Agree with immature Red-tailed Hawk. Pale iris. Greenish Cere. Full belly band. Likely a "western," calurus based on location.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back