• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (4 Viewers)

Does Start also attract Ring Ouzels? That would be one of the reasons why I mentioned Soar as a possibility.

The Firecrest said:
Does Start also attract Ring Ouzels? That would be one of the reasons why I mentioned Soar as a possibility.

Not like Soar which is the place in Devon for migrant ouzels. Starehole Valley and Soar Mill Cove both good. If the weather is not too awful you should be guarenteed Ring Ouzels in both these places over the next few days.

Just got back from Soar Mill Cove and there were indeed 2 Ring Ouzels there, Just below the hotel in the field on the right, they were quite elusive but showed well several times. Otherwise just a Wheatear at the bottom of the valley. The willows below bolberry were very quiet, just a couple of Chiffchaffs and Goldcrests, no sign of the Yellow Browed Warbler or Firecrest. Others had been along to East Soar and Starehole where it was really catching the wind and hence nothing was there.

Decided to go to Start Point. 4 Stonechats, Merlin, 2 Kestrels, Sparrowhawk, 7 Skylarks and 4 Wrens.
Slapton had a whopping 21 Ruddy Ducks, glancing through the 2004 DBR the peak here was 9. Also 2 Pochard, 10 Tufted Ducks, 25 GC Grebes, 3 Shoveler, 5 Kittiwakes, 25 Gannets and 4 Sandwich Terns.

Tried quite a few of the beaches around Torquay this afternoon looking for any storm driven gulls,auks or Phalaropes but all I got for my troubles was wet. There also appeared to be nothing moving off Hopes Nose..The most excitement was at Meadfoot Beach where a burst sewer attracted hundreds of gulls but nothing remotely of interest was with them.

mark bailey said:
Tried quite a few of the beaches around Torquay this afternoon looking for any storm driven gulls,auks or Phalaropes but all I got for my troubles was wet. There also appeared to be nothing moving off Hopes Nose..The most excitement was at Meadfoot Beach where a burst sewer attracted hundreds of gulls but nothing remotely of interest was with them.
hey mark
have you been to berry head? i have just got back from a week there and got 3 year ticks. it is a great place to sea watch from but you also have the quarry and bushes on the top. i got loads of redwing and some really close in the quarry, proberbly some of the best views ever. the black redstart should still be there if you still need it, lovelly looking bird. mid week i shared a view of 2 porpoises feeding about 50m off the headland, unforgetable.

mark bailey said:
..The most excitement was at Meadfoot Beach where a burst sewer attracted hundreds of gulls.....
Ha Ha! Says something about our hobby when a burst sewer is a source of great excitement! |=)| Says something about me that I'm jealous.........

Surprising that the burst sewer never made the pager. Bit of supression there Mark? ;)

I am sure it would have attracted a few birders. Ha ha.

Amazingly, nothing at all for Devon on RBA today. Not bad really, would have hurt to have watched Liverpool lose and have an unreachable bird reported.

Hi Andrew, no you got it all wrong it was great to get my first Firecrest for the year at Berry Head this morning ! & then see United sweep those red pretenders aside in the afternoon Byeeeeeeeeeee

Dave Stone said:
Hi Andrew, no you got it all wrong it was great to get my first Firecrest for the year at Berry Head this morning ! & then see United sweep those red pretenders aside in the afternoon Byeeeeeeeeeee
Another Devon birder supporting United! Wayhaaaay!! Scousers now 11 points behind, drifting into oblivion...!

Start Point

Got out to Start first light. What a contrast to yesterday, Portland clearly visible across the water. The vis mig was hard to get a grip on , birds going over but very high up. Small parties of Pipits and Goldfinches deciding to come back inland, maybe wanted a go at crossing the water but sensed the approaching rain band.
One Yellow-browed Warbler still in Start Farm but elusive. Heard twice and seen briefly once. Other birds included Merlin, 2-300 Skylarks, 3-400 Meadow Pipits, 4 Swallows, Black Redstart, Wheatear, 10 Redwings, 2 Blackcaps, 8 Chiffchaffs, 8 Goldcrests, Firecrest, c600 Goldfinches, 2 Siskins and 5 Reed Buntings.
The rain arrived on cue late morning and it was time to quit.

Last edited:
The Firecrest said:
Another Devon birder supporting United! Wayhaaaay!! Scousers now 11 points behind, drifting into oblivion...!

Sorry for going off topic but isn't it funny how most Man Ure fans tend to come from outside the City of Manchester. Aren't there any decent teams in Devon then?

Under the heading 'Nature in General' there is a forum called 'Other Wildlife'. Discussions about or relating to soccer 'fans', football 'supporters' and similar beasts will find a good home there ;)

Group of 16 Spoonbills on Isley Marsh this afternoon.

Attachments

• spoonbill1J.jpg
    spoonbill1J.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 212
Both Spoonbills still present as is the Yellow-browed Warbler. Als otoday A Short-eared Owl and the first Mistle Thrush of the year.

For regular updates on Warren news check the link below.

Cheers
Kev

Brian and myself had an excellant sea watch at Hopes Nose this morning with the highlight being a superb LITTLE AUK close inshore at 9.34. (Unfortunately, the highlight should have been a petrel sp. seen briefly at 9 am which looked larger rather than smaller, but just didn't see it for long enough). Apart from that, other goodies were a cracking Ad light phase Pom Skua at 8.50 , a Lovely adult Little Gull at 10.25, 2 Bonxies, 1 Arctic Skua, a 2W Med Gull, a late Whimbrel, 2 Red Throated and 1 Great Northern Diver, 50+ Common Scoter, 5 Dunlin, 15 Sandwich Terns and a lone Brent Goose which went south and then an hour later presumably the same bird went north. Brian stayed down there after I left , so his totals might follow later !?

Last edited:
Hope's Nose 0800-1540 and even then had to drag myself away, birds still streaming through, mostly Kits but a pleasure to see 1,000 + of them today, nearly all close in and good to see over 50% were juvs. Conditions good today, strong SE, dryish till 1300 then steady rain but light mostly very good, so easy to sit it out!
Stayed on after Mark left to try to add to the day list [ yeah,you know what I mean! ] but only succeeded in adding one goodie, a dark juv Long-tailed Skua with an off-white head at 1330, close in [ inside the Lead Stone ] . Skua famine 1000-1300 then after the LTS 9 Arctic Skuas, all very close [ one flew over the rocks 10 yds in front of me!] Another moulting GND on sea only 25 yds out, an RTD did a short-cut behind me, and an Eider south. Ad w Little Gull north , and south an hour later, meant 3 sightings were all one bird I should think!
Good to do Hope's Nose after all those Berry Heads lately, it can't be beaten when conditions are right. If only we still had some lovely sewage...we'd have nailed that petrel Mark! [ I never saw it at all ]

I have just returned home last night after a week in North Devon with information supplied from forum members I went to Hartland Point in the large luton type hire van which was fun great location stunning views, a Raven flew over the lighthouse and cliffs in front of the car park trying to photograph it I was surprised to see a Dartford Warbler in front of me, tried to get some shots in the deep cover but they are rather blurred and then it was gone, I had thought I would have to go further south for this bird which was a lifer for me.Hartland Quay was also a stunning area but heavy rain and failing light.
Fremington Quay on the Sunday was rather wet ,a visit to Isley marsh and the farmland walk nearby on a sunnier day produced about 20 Clouded Yellows and a low Buzzard with also 6 Spoonbills flew over and vanished,non where found feeding as Roy C reported was that you with the scope & tripod and large lens around your neck mid afternoon just going on to the marsh,from here back to the Burrows for the rising tide a good flock of Golden Plover with Grey Plover & knot and the ever present Little Egret in the scene ,can't get over how easy they are to see and the Brent Geese came in right on cue just as I was informed.
A great few days in a great location next visit I will be driving something a little smaller for those narrow lanes, although everyone seemed to move over for me.
So its back to the north ,went out today no Spoonbills or Little Egrets but I did see 25 Little Auks past, Spoonbill has been recorded on a seawatch before.
Good Birding wherever you are and thanks for the info I'll be back
Brian

Attachments

• IMG_8593.JPG
    IMG_8593.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_8652_filtered.jpg
    IMG_8652_filtered.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 198

Users who are viewing this thread

Back