• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (1 Viewer)

the stonechats are truly excellent, I can see the teal are a bit of a struggle still, though you've got some excellent ones in there, I don't think I'd have even attempted some of those angles you've got there, keep at it it'll pay off - I've just been sketching a few nuthatches, one of those birds I really struggle to draw. This woodpecker is going to be very special - same advice as per the little owl, not too much detail now, I love the shocking flash of yellow, superb!

Stonechats are as good as it gets, really. I also really like the teal drawings - honestly done and a clear indication of what field drawing os like. Lots of stuff all over the page and then a little gleaming gem or two. Fine work.

Wow! The pecker is just excellent. Lovely light in the picture. Can't believe its not finished. Great sketches.
Steve

Oh boy! That green Pecker it a bit good Mike! Hope your working on it. When your finished the full version you can shove the crappy colour sketch in the post and I can burn it for you here, in case you hurt yourself, no worries...;)

I'm not sure how I missed the Green Woodpecker- it is great just as it stands (perches). So another vote if it is not too late for leaving it pretty much as it is. I reckon it and the Little Owl represent a bit of a landmark moment.

Mmmm, that looks so good, the Greenwood. So wonderfully good. What can you yet do to this? Really waiting forward to seeing the final version, if this is this good, then what is the final version going to be like?!

Elina

Thanks everyone, I'll be carrying on with the woody, detailing, modelling etc., just as soon as I can, I'm afraid xmas shopping trips are being organised by the foreman so painting time is curtailed somewhat at the moment!

I almost always manage to get out on a Sunday morning though, it's too early for the shops to be open! This Sunday started well with none of the snow we were promised. The barn owl was back in his place by the road and the jack merlin was spotted on the track on the way out, two great birds that meant it was a great day even if the rest of the trip was birdless.

After a spectacular sunrise the clouds closed in and just as we reached the hide the snow began to fall. It made for very poor viewing conditions and most birds hunkered down somewhere out of sight. A few passing oystercatchers appeared through the white but the only birds that stayed around to be sketched were a group of seven skylarks. An iconic bird of high summer it seemed strange to watch them picking through the driving snow and I think there might be a painting in there somewhere.

Andy sneaked a shot of me as we left the hide, does my bum look big in this?

Mike

Attachments

• sunrise.jpg
    sunrise.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 54
  • skylarksnow1.jpg
    skylarksnow1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 62
  • skylarksnow2.jpg
    skylarksnow2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 59
  • skylarksnow3.jpg
    skylarksnow3.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 54
  • mybutt.jpg
    mybutt.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 69
Skylarks are brilliant - this little composition is screaming to be a painting, I can almost see it in my mind's eye.
Andy's clearly got an eye for a pic! :-o

Skylarks are a fantastic set of sketches (they look cold, hunkered down like that, I'll never understand how little birds can handle such weather). I hope you push on with this soon, the driving snow would go well with your looser style.

Still trying to get a grip on teal, I just don't seem able to 'get' the b*ggers!
But I will...Oh yes I bl**dy will!

Looking forward to a half day at Stodmarsh tomorrow (hopefully), so I'll see what comes of that.

Mike

Attachments

• teal01.jpg
    teal01.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 43
  • teal02.jpg
    teal02.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 43
you've got the bodies right, and you've got the heads right, the bit that needs looking at is how the two join - for homework I want a page of teal necks! Seriously, they're a damned difficult duck to draw in action, only get a few on my patch now, and they're usually way too far away to draw.

you've got the bodies right, and you've got the heads right, the bit that needs looking at is how the two join - for homework I want a page of teal necks! Seriously, they're a damned difficult duck to draw in action, only get a few on my patch now, and they're usually way too far away to draw.

He He! It was damn cold and none of 'em were sticking their necks out!

There are hundreds of teal on Elmley all through the winter so that's not a problem but they're always wary and mostly over the far side of the scrape which makes it a bit of a challenge.

I'll look for some neck action!

Mike

Brilliant Mike - some really strong drawings here and there's a definite change in the positivity of the linework - perhaps to do with the cold, but more likely a natural progression as your personal confidence increases.
And I have to agree with you both - teal are hard to get right.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back