• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (2 Viewers)

From the weekend:

Look who's back on the scrapes and courting/breeding. I will no doubt be fed up with nothing but avocets by the time the summer's over, but for now it feels good to be getting my eye back in on these elegant (and cantankerous) beauties.

And away off again the peregrine was in its usual spot.

Mike

Attachments

• 11-4-10-avos-1.jpg
    11-4-10-avos-1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 11-4-10-avos-2.jpg
    11-4-10-avos-2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 44
  • 11-4-10-avos-3.jpg
    11-4-10-avos-3.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 11-4-10-pere-1.jpg
    11-4-10-pere-1.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 36
Hard to imagine getting fed up with Avocets or your sketches of them. They always have a great sense of life and personality and I don't think I ever tire of looking at them. It's nice to know that spring has returned and our old favorites are starting to arrive. The bulk of migration is still ahead here in eastern U.S. but it has definitely started!

Great stuff Mikey-boy! Cool sketches...gettin' my pencils ready for some sketching of something alive for a change ;)
Think you're right with version 2 of the owl - personally I like the placement as it is and as you say, the buds will give an added element. Get crackin!

These Avocets are super, Mike. A species I've not yet had the pleasure and challenge of sketching. Still a bit of a rarity in these parts. Just heard there's one near me today. I might have to make a detour this weekend if it's still hanging around. Failing that It looks like Blacktoft this summer. Give me the wide-open spaces any day, though.

Russ

you can't get fed up of avocets, you could send a few down this way, wouldn't even be a problem that they chase everything else off the gravel pits - if they get rid of the tw*t in the 4x4 that stands fishing near the no-fishing sign and his stupidly small canine rodent too, they can have the pits to themselves. Facing out of the wind pair just need a splash of colour and you're done!

Had a good day today, Tina went shopping, Beth went to dancing/singing/drama and I stayed in the conservatory with the back door open to the sunshine. Managed to get this one done from last week's first returning yellow wag of the year.

Mike

Attachments

• hare-and-ywag.jpg
    hare-and-ywag.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 85
Fabulous - this I love. The unfussy grass presents the perfect backdrop to the hare and waggy - the scale difference is cleverly used to emphasise the delicacy of the bird and that skippy-stride you've captured is spot-on. Top class.

a perfect Spring painting...the grass treatment is an eye opener for me...enough detail but not overdone...not an easy feat, it "grows" naturally, not stiff like so much I see.

as others have said - Spring personified, fascinating contrast of colours, textures, attitudes, sizes and shapes and actions, and presented in such a natural and unpretentious way - one of your finest!

Fabulous - this I love. The unfussy grass presents the perfect backdrop to the hare and waggy - the scale difference is cleverly used to emphasise the delicacy of the bird and that skippy-stride you've captured is spot-on. Top class.

I've never seen a Yellow Wagtail but it surely is a distinctive gait you've portrayed. If that's indicative of the species then this is a wonderful introduction to them. It would be hard to miss it, even if by some odd chance you missed their bold colors.

It seems to me that this is the second painting you've done that is full of green. Was the other an otter? Most people I think would advise against it because it's so strong. But in both paintings it looks just right, like a realistic portrayal of natural green at its best.

Cheers chaps. I do worry about painting green pics with nothing but grass in them. I reckon grass has to be the nemesis of many a wildlife artrist, me included!
Spring though is mostly green so not really much of a choice there.

Mike

Have investigated the green thing for myself many times...when I got down on my knees and looked close I found a lot of other colors, some dead stems, some red underleaf, some purple, yellow, even a bit of blue. So now when I do greens I look to see the whole range of colors there, not to mention the cast of the sky and colored shadows, it helps to relive the all green thing we think we see. Yours has some of these tones.

Cheers chaps. I do worry about painting green pics with nothing but grass in them. I reckon grass has to be the nemesis of many a wildlife artrist, me included!
Spring though is mostly green so not really much of a choice there.

Mike

Hope my comment didn't come off as a criticism. Instead I meant is as a compliment for using so much green and still having it look just right: spring in its full glory!

I had the good fortune to come across a road casualty on Sunday. A perfect red legged partridge (apart from a broken neck that is!). I've got more drawings to post later but, for now here's the wc study I did. As you can see my wc is a little rusty to say the least!

I have no idea what posessed me to paint this barnie like this, it was just to pass the time I suppose.

There's also a better scan of the hare and wagtail.

Mike

Attachments

• rlpstudy.jpg
    rlpstudy.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 63
  • sil-barnowl.jpg
    sil-barnowl.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 64
  • hare-and-ywag2.jpg
    hare-and-ywag2.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 60
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back