• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Favourite Bird Artist (1 Viewer)

Hello all,

I have a real fondness for the work of Louis Agassiz Fuertes, who was an artist and ornithologist. I recently purchased Eaton's Birds of New York 1912, 1914, which has more than one hundred colour plates by him. The work is available on the web, as well. I attach one of his better paintings from that work. Unfortunately, the quality of American printing, a century, ago, was not top notch.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Attachments

• hooded mergansers.jpg
    hooded mergansers.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 112
Hello all,

I have a real fondness for the work of Louis Agassiz Fuertes, who was an artist and ornithologist. I recently purchased Eaton's Birds of New York 1912, 1914, which has more than one hundred colour plates by him. The work is available on the web, as well. I attach one of his better paintings from that work. Unfortunately, the quality of American printing, a century, ago, was not top notch.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

He's a very appealing artist. I always kick myself for not knowing about him nor looking at his work when I was a student at Cornell. Even now when I could see his work at the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia I don't. There is a very good book on him by a member of the Academy, Robert McCracken Peck, that can often be picked up used for a small price. I'd recommend it highly.

Ladybirds

Has anybody yet held a torch for John Leigh-Pemberton or Arthur Singer. The ladybird books were fantastic for me at least as a kid and "Birds of the World" by Mr Singer, was "mindblowing". The picture of that nasty looking harpy eagle with its lunch - a lovely Hyacinth Macaw....

merulo;2875801d "Birds of the World" by Mr Singer said:
What a nice reminder of the glorious work- that pic was absolutely a formative influence. But I fear my generation is scarred by Singer's pics for the Hamlyn guide where having the book actually made identifying eg phylloscs harder than having no book at all!

Further to my earlier comment, on the excellence of Paschalis Douglas'swork, my computer has now decided that it will allow me to copy & paste website addresses. So do have a look at the work on the sites below:
http://dougalis-wildlifeart.blogspot.com/‎
www.dougalis-art.com/‎
www.facebook.com/paschalis.dougalis
I particularly commend the Facebook option as it's a delight to have his artwork pop up on a regular basis. I love the delicacy of his work and the way in which he always retains that living spark which some artists kill with overmuch detail. Check out his drawings of black birds - never easy, but he carries it off sublimely. Unlike other artists he seems equally at home portraying all sorts of wildlife and some of the human portraits on his site are amongs my favourites. Do have a look!

Last edited:
Have to say my favourite artist beyond a doubt is Trevor Boyer, his attention to detail is extraordinary and so accurate .....I do have some of his works in my home.......and I have just come across a website selling new work I am so excited. Have a look guys you won't be disappointed if you love wild birds like I do.... www.trevorboyer.co.uk

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back