• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id for greek flower lesvos (1 Viewer)

geo ver

Can anyone help me to id this flower . I found it in lesvos in a pine forest.Any help will be aprecited a lot.

Optimized-P1100223.JPG

Geo Ver

To start you off, its a Euphorbia species - they are tough to identify down to specific level often. I would imagine you have at least 10's of species in Greece, possible a 100 or two. the fruits will help a lot but many are very similar. The fresh flowers are usually needed. Saying that, local botansts may just know it ;)

Maybe Euphorbia lathyris..but as I implied its a bit of a minefield.

I think I exaggerated the number of potential species - having just looked in Flora ibérica, we have 54 species so I would imagine that Greece has something like that too.

Last edited:
I think your are on to something ;) I'd thought the reddish colour may have been due to hydric stress as some of our annual Euphorbias react this way a little.

Also - I found this website, which you may or not know of:

http://www.greekflora.gr/el/flowers/2692/Euphorbia-cyparissias

Looks like the one to use, though I don't understand a word of Greek :-O

Hi Simon Wates, this was the site that I have used to id it.I found another photo that i took (but i forgot to upload ito:D).this photo may help you to id it;) (although im not sure wheather it is the same flower);)

See the photo in the next post

Best regards Geo Ver
PS(postcript)What is hydric stress ?

Last edited:
Hi Simon Wates, this was the site that I have used to id it.I found another photo that i took (but i forgot to upload ito:D).this photo may help you to id it;) (although im not sure wheather it is the same flower);)

See the photo in the next post

Best regards Geo Ver
PS(postcript)What is hydric stress ?

Geo, your new photo shows an extremely distinct plant but not a species I'm familiar with. The red colouration of the bracts in this case I think, is nothing to do with hydric (or water) stress, which is when plants are expiring more water than they are taking up. This often has the effect of leaves and sometimes stems, acquiring redness amongst other symptoms.

However, from what I can find, Euphorbia cyparissias has very narrow basal leaves, whereas your plant has rather wide ones, so now I don't think it is that species.

Looking at Acid John's suggestion, Euphorbia myrsinites certainly looks far better as an identification so I would go along with that :t:

Last edited:
Hi Simon Wates and Acid John
Thank you a lot for your sugestions.
You really helped me a lot to id it .
Best regards
Geo Ver

Are they pictures of the same plant? The second one is almost certainly Euphorbia myrsinites (which I've seen in Crete and, recently, in the Rhodope mountains).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back