• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recent sketches (1 Viewer)

Probably a little late to say this but, have a good time in China, and bring us back some juicy sketches!

Mike

I've just had a look on here for the first time, some brilliant sketches, but a few splashes of colour would make them even better. You seem to have a great drawing style, simple and not over-complicating things, which is just the sort of attitude you need for whipping out the watercolours (I've ruined more sketches than I care to remember by trying to over complicate with the colours). At any rate, it is a crime that you've not got any colour drawings when you're miles better than me with the shape/character of the birds! Get some great stuff in China, avoid perving Lucy Liu, and I'll definitely be back and I'm sure the rest of us will!

and Nick, it was a seal with a stiffie!

Cheers, it looks like I'm following the Busby/Ennion/Mccallum route instead of the Jonsson ( surely must be the most phenomenal powers of observation on earth ) route. Still, the question remains, and still gnaws away at me: How mportant is knowledge of the bird (ie how tertials and covets fit together and which bit goes where) compared to powers of observation? How important is drawing what I see compared to what I know of the subject? Or does it really matter ? That's three questions! Whilst you guys ponder this I'm off to China for a couple of week ( no I'm not loaded, I'm helping out on a tour ) but I will whip it out (the sketchbook I mean) if I get the oppo.

Cheers, talk to you in a bit

Russ

Feather tracts etc?

Draw what you see Russ. And only that!

You are translating what you see, and don't have a mist net....

I sketched an Ortolan the other day, from what I could see.

Basically, the sketch looks like an Ortolan in stripy pyjamas.

Not one feather is visible in the sketch.

BUT THE OVERALL BIRD IS!

As Lars said,

" I paint what I SEE, not what I know...."

When we see a bird? We see its "patternation", not its individual feather placement!

It is the impression and pattern that I love in birds. And I never draw the anatomical feather details. Unless VERY CLOSE VIEWS allow that rare facility...

I always draw what I see...;)

Hi guys,
Just back from another Wildwings far-east extravaganza. Included in the itinerary are Ibisbills, and these must be the most obliging in Asia. Brilliant shapes, basically three plumage tones and wonderful character. Not just a photographer's dream, as was the case here, but also an artist's. The talent on this site could have had a field day, so look sharp if you wanna see 'em, before the local's idea of beauty transforms their river in to something plucked from your average garden centre. Five mins with the sketchbook or a 500mm lens? No contest.

Ps - if you're gonna do it, do it with Wildwings - Rockfowl's knowledge of the birds of the Hebei province is up there with the best, and that's not just sales patter.

Good to be back

Russ

Attachments

• Ibisbil 1.jpg
    Ibisbil 1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Ibisbill 2.jpg
    Ibisbill 2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Ibisbill 3.jpg
    Ibisbill 3.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Ibisbill 3 (2).jpg
    Ibisbill 3 (2).jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 68
Russ, welcome back! These sketches are amazing! Love the detail, annotation and looser/sketchier style. These Ibisbills are 'alive!' I am reminded of Lars Jonsson when I look at these. Which is no bad thing, as no other artist reminds me of his particular style. So I guess that's a pretty fine compliment! Looking forward to more!

some terrific sketches here, and quite right, art should always take first priority over photogtaphs (although username is rather good at combining the two!) I have had a few goes at photography, but it takes ages to get good at it, and even once you are as good as you'll ever be someone will have a better lens, and hundreds of people will have photographs exactly the same! That's why art rocks, we all do it in a unique way and we are way more exclusive than the photographers (prob about 20 people on the art thread but hundreds on the photography threads and in the gallery.)

in musical terms, photographers are like Pop music, which at the moment consists of JLS and Taylor Swift, good but all to samey. We artists are the hard-core, anarchist rockers of the BF world, original and 'keepin it real!!'

Retro!:eek!:

and, to add some sanity, I agree with phil that these look quite a lot like Lars Jonsson, though much better, of course!;)

Last edited:
some terrific sketches here, and quite right, art should always take first priority over photogtaphs (although username is rather good at combining the two!) I have had a few goes at photography, but it takes ages to get good at it, and even once you are as good as you'll ever be someone will have a better lens, and hundreds of people will have photographs exactly the same! That's why art rocks, we all do it in a unique way and we are way more exclusive than the photographers (prob about 20 people on the art thread but hundreds on the photography threads and in the gallery.)

in musical terms, photographers are like Pop music, which at the moment consists of JLS and Taylor Swift, good but all to samey. We artists are the hard-core, anarchist rockers of the BF world, original and 'keepin it real!!'

Retro!:eek!:

and, to add some sanity, I agree with phil that these look quite a lot like Lars Jonsson, though much better, of course!;)

Agree absolutely Gropper...re 'art'..photo's etc....! A lot...okay 'some' photography is relatively straightforward but it doesn't have much artistically going for it..[tho obviously that is not an individuals intention]..!

Anyway...before woffling on on someone else's thread...

Russ....those are really fantastic sketches...great birds aren't they..?!!:t:

ps....how was Marks health whilst you were out there..? Okay i hope...

pps...look forward to seeing more sketches from this trip...:t:

sorry, think I did woffle on a bit! Art is all about passion though, which a brilliant sketch of an Ibisbill evokes a great deal of!:t:;)

I think all the previous correspondents have just about covered it - fabulous sketches; the way you keep investigating the same bird over again brings a real sense of gettng to know an individual of a species. Lars? - yes, but also the great Doctor, who would have loved this kind of investigative art. Cracking stuff Russ.

Cheers, Phil, Liam, Tim and User, your comments are most humbling! Seriously, I've been trying a more looser, sketchier style ( Mr Derry to blame for this!) The limited time I had to get stuff down whilst away may have actually helped. It certainly has with some passerines I managed. No time to fart around!
Another wader with X factor appeal is Little Whimbrel - occasionally seen passing over at height, but hardly ever down close on the deck. This bird performed amazingly well on the Jinshan Field (hallowed ground, this, with historic imperial connections, so drive a JCB on here and it's the firing squad!)
I had difficulty concentrating on this, such was the magntude of the occasion!

More to come

Ps - Mark was in rude health, mate. No worries.

Russ

Attachments

• Lil whimbrel 1.jpg
    Lil whimbrel 1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Lil whimbrel 2.jpg
    Lil whimbrel 2.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Lil whimbrel 3.jpg
    Lil whimbrel 3.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 63
Whilst on the wader theme, here's a few Greater Sand Plover sketches. The first one is how I'd like to nail everything: a few esential strokes, a bit of detail and nothing fussy. If only! Not too difficult, these, as they have a Grey Plover-like slowed down 'run and stop' motion. Subtly beautiful in winter garb, too.

More to come

Cheers

Russ

Attachments

• GSP 1.jpg
    GSP 1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 53
  • GSP 2 (2).jpg
    GSP 2 (2).jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 52
  • GSP 3 (3).jpg
    GSP 3 (3).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 58
As Tim says it's a pleasure to see you investigating one particular species, drawing it over and over. For some reason I've always enjoyed that type of investigative drawing.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back