• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 (1 Viewer)

black crow

I'm looking for a new pair of 8x32 for under $500. I'd rather pay less if possible. I like a lot of things (on paper) about the Conquest. Especially weight and FOV. I hear they have a nice smooth focuser too which is something I like.

Have any of you compared them to the Meopta Meopro 8x32?

and finally

I have some Sightron Blue Sky 8x32 which I think are pretty darn nice. If any of you have experience with them do you think they are close optically to the Zeiss? I want something that is a decent step up or it's not worth buying another pair of Binos in 32mm.

Thanks

Hi,
SBSII : light, easy to operate, outstanding quality at the price but not as sharp and bright as the Conquest or the Traveller ED IMO.
Conquest HD : loved them, but had to get rid of them because of serious issues with the eyecups (mostly blackouts).
Opticron Traveller ED : my current pair of 8x32 , I'm very found of them : easy, light, bright, sharp, great FOV. They replaced the SBSII I gave to my nephew.
Meopro HD : I would like to test them, but I didn't have the opportunity to do so.

I have both the Conquest and the Meopta and the Meopta is every bit as good as the Conquest optically. There are differences that might influence you though.
First the Meopta has a shape similar to a Zeiss FL 32 or even an old Leica BA or BN. Its a bit curvy, flaring out towards the objectives and with a textured surface it feels very different in the hand to the Conquest with its smooth armour and parallel-sided optical tubes. I love them both and so might you, but on the other hand one might appeal more than the other.
Second the Conquest focuses almost twice as fast as the Meopta for two reasons. First the Conquest is geared almost twice as quick and second the Meopta has a stiffer focus action. It is beautifully smooth and precise, but it requires more torque to rotate it. For this reason I don't use the Meopta for insect or fast-moving warbler habitats which is where the Conquest excells.
My bro in law visited on Friday and I couldn't get the little Meopta out of his hands. He has a Leica Noctivid 10 and Kowa Genesis 10x33 but when he got back home he was straight onto the internet to find the best price for a MeoStar 8x32.

The eyecups of Conquest suit most people and Zeiss will send you free of charge slightly extended ones if you need them. I was fine with the originals until I changed my spectacles and now I use the optional eyecups with no problems.

Both are compelling binos and I would put Kowa's Genesis 8x33 in the same frame.

Lee

Thanks for the info. Actually I have access to the Kowa Genesis 8x33. My friend down the street owns a pair. I was looking through them yesterday in fact. They are very nice. Very bright. I think I'll take my BlueSky over there today as we had planned on looking at optics together and I can do a side by side. I'm pretty sure whos going to win.

Guys I'm embarrassed. I goofed. I meant the Zeiss Terra 8x32 ED MC.

I was surprised that more folks didn't jump on the ''less than $500 new'' part - that would be a steal for an HD.

I would agree that the Terra is probably not a bargain at $500.00 and would look for a better deal if possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back