• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carl Zeiss Jena 8 x 50 B Octarem Binocular Questions. (1 Viewer)

Old George

Hello folks,

I'm new to this site, I own a pair of Helios 20x60 Stellar binoculars that I purchased around 2010.
I've just purchased a pair of used Carl Zeiss Jena 8 x 50 B Octarem Binoculars (1987 model), I have a few questions that (hopefully) you good people can help me with.

I live in the Manchester area, can anyone recommend a good binocular service/repair centre in the area, or would I be better off dealing with a centre elsewhere in the UK?

One of the rubber eye cups is perished, who stocks replacements and what is the approximate price of a new pair?

The eye cup covers are missing and the objective lens covers are both split, what are the sizes, and could you recommend a dealer to purchase them from?

The Octarem's arrived today so i've not had too much time to play with them yet. Although the Stellar's are more powerful, the image from the Octarem's is sharper and brighter, although they are quite heavy.

I am wondering about having them serviced because of their age, what exactly does a service comprise of? And would it be expensive?

The dioptre adjustment ring is loose compared to the Helios, is this normal for this model?

I have noticed that the gap between the base of the eye pieces and prism housing is smaller on the right hand (dioptre) side than on the left ( I have seen this on other bins) the image is nice and sharp so I assume this is of no relevance? The centre focus wheel turns smoothly so it is not bent.

Thanks in advance for any replies to this post, I will probably have more questions before too long!

Last edited:
Old George welcome,

For parts try Docter Optics in the UK or Germany, I believe they would have the parts for the model since it is the same as the Docter Nobilum they carried over from Zeiss Jena. At one time they worked on these models, but as of recent I am not sure. I would start there, perhaps others on the Island can chime in, they will know where to send it to for repair.

Andy W.

Old George welcome,

For parts try Docter Optics in the UK or Germany, I believe they would have the parts for the model since it is the same as the Docter Nobilum they carried over from Zeiss Jena. At one time they worked on these models, but as of recent I am not sure. I would start there, perhaps others on the Island can chime in, they will know where to send it to for repair.

Andy W.

The link Docter used to give for servicing CZJ optics was for Harald Ros,
as listed in this discussion.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/239588-long-shot-zeiss-jena-super-nobilem-spare-parts/

I don't know if Harald Ros is still active, but he did great work for me on a Nobilem 12x50 Super. Afaik, he was a Zeiss Jena veteran trained at the Eisfeld plant, where CZJ manufactured their binoculars.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for responding, I can't find a UK link for Docter optics UK.
I will put off contacting Harald Ros for now as he is based in Germany, I am hoping to find parts and service in the UK if possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back