• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 T*P and Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 T*P* (1 Viewer)

Grimnir

The Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 T*P and the Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 T*P* both have phase coatings on their prisms but is it known whether there is any difference between their prism phase coatings?

Does the Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 T*P* really have superior prism phase coatings to those of the Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 T*P or is it just marketing?

Graham

Does the Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 T*P* really have superior prism phase coatings to those of the Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 T*P or is it just marketing?

Graham

Hello Graham,

No, it was just marketing.
Edit: However, the P* are later and may have closer focussing than the earliest models.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hello Graham,

No, my information is not straight from Zeiss. There is also a possibility that the other coatings were tweaked by the time P* appeared.
If nothing else that designation means the newest models.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Thank you for your very fast response Arthur. I'm pretty sure that there's little or no detectable difference between P and P* coatings and I think the P* marking first appeared when Zeiss changed their labelling from 'Made in West Germany' to 'Made in Germany' so I suspect it is marketing - but I'm not certain.

Graham

Arthur is correct and was confirmed by Zeiss UK a few years ago. P was changed to P* only to have the same 'look' as the famous T* coating and this means that P* models were produced later.

Lee

have to admit; it would be really interesting to know if phase coatings have been tweaked since their first introduction (almost certainly, one would have thought), to what end and with what result.

I emailed Zeiss in Germany when I wrote the original post here and Zeiss emailed back confirming that there is no difference between the T*P and T*P* coatings. The extra * is for cosmetic symmetry only. It signifies no optical difference whatever.

Graham

I’ve bought and sold a lot of binoculars, and the Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 T*P* is the one I REALLY regret selling. Got it right before they were discontinued for a 7x42 FL (which is also great), but the Dialyt still haunts me!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back