• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 with stuck 128RC head (1 Viewer)

Malcolm Stewart

My Manfrotto 128RC head is stuck on my Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 tripod. I bought them separately some years ago, and they get a fair amount of use, both for my birding telescope and for video. And I've had them apart some years ago.
I've unscrewed the 3 retaining worm screws under the tripod attachment plate, but the 128RC is well and truly stuck. I've gone as far as hitting it with a rubber mallet, but the head remains stuck. I was hoping to try a more advanced video head with "fluid" properties, but that now seems impossible. (The tripod and head are way too large to go in the freezer area of my fridge, and I don't now have a chest freezer if that would have helped.) So far, I've not tried any form of penetrating oil.

Any ideas? and thanks in advance... otherwise, the 190CXPRO3 is probably my favourite tripod

Lol, there's a big thread on this one. Check it out! I have 2 Manfrottos and no problems since I read it. It will work out.

190CX3 is my fav too!

I've had stuck heads before. I seem to remember wrapping a face flannel round it, and either putting it in a vice or using a pipe wrench to shift it. If you give it a blast of WD-40 or silicone spray first it may help.
I remember a carpenter telling me that before undoing a stuck screw, they tightened it some more first, which apparently is enough to break whatever is stopping it unscrewing. I wouldn't hit it too much!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back