• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wootton Art 2012 (1 Viewer)

Many thanks folks - all really appreciated, cheers.
Here's another rendition of one of my favourite subjects. I'm trying to learn from the approach I'm taking with the conte and watercolour paintings and stop just filling in the paper with colour, simply to paint to the edge of the paper. When It's done, it's done - is my new motto.
watercolour 27"x22" . . .

it's been intriguing seeing these unpainted areas infiltrate your watercolours

can I ask you a technical question? do you go through all the rigmarole of stretching soaking and taping down paper when you are doing splooshy work: or do you bash on and worry about flattening the paper later?

Ta, Ed - the un-painted areas are starting to become important parts of the design (something Dr. E used a lot and latterly J Busby) I'm finding they allow a sense of there being more 'outside' the boundaries of the paper/frame - so the image becomes just a section of the possible environment. Does that make sense?
Re; paper prep. I haven't stretched a surface for over 15 years (I was positively crap at doing it anyway!!!). I find that any decent weight paper will retain some sort of flatness even after being splooshed on. I put a lot of water on these paintings in certain areas and, obviously, none on the unpainted areas, but the cockling remains at an acceptable level. This is Fabriano paper (not the Artistico that I absolutely adore - I forget the precise trade name of this stuff.) To be honest, this paper takes quite a bit of getting used to .. . my particular jury is still out. I use the heaviest stuff I can get my hands on (and afford!) which also mitigates the water effect, but more importantly for me, the lack of prep means I'm not faced with a pristine and 'important' surface which would put pressure on me to make something 'good'.

Last edited:
Looks good Tim. I think the blank paper sets off the stark light and darks of the eiders. Whatever I think of these though I think the most important part is that you keep searching for a way to make better paintings. I think that always, or often anyway, registers with whoever looks at these and adds to the excitement of them.

by the way Tim- I dropped into Alfred Munnings house this afternoon for a bit of painterly inspiration

and found this little tableau of racehorses at the start, carved into plaster on an outside wall dated 1919

rather splendid I thought

Attachments

• q9 munn.jpg
    q9 munn.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 87
That's so simply gorgeous. How is Sir Alf? :)
Funny you should mention the racehorse theme - I haven't armchair punted for Years (Cheltenham excepted) but I had a 100-30 winner today. The brokers at William Hill will be reeling at my £5 win bet, nay doot!

by the way Tim- I dropped into Alfred Munnings house this afternoon for a bit of painterly inspiration

and found this little tableau of racehorses at the start, carved into plaster on an outside wall dated 1919

rather splendid I thought

I agree, superb

. . . well, so far so good it is, then.
Ta very much - and, as I haven't painted many eiders lately (!), here's the most recently completed piece;
watercolour, 27"x22"

Attachments

• terns & eider (800x569).jpg
    terns & eider (800x569).jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 110
Already commented on FB, but I couldn`t resist to write down few words..
I can`t recall any other artist`s name except maybe of the "big" Lars, who is able to paint Eiders with such confidence ,showing deep knowledge of it`s subject and draftsmanship of the highest level.. Tim the "Eiderman"!
Thanks for sharing!

Paschalis

Already commented on FB, but I couldn`t resist to write down few words..
I can`t recall any other artist`s name except maybe of the "big" Lars, who is able to paint Eiders with such confidence ,showing deep knowledge of it`s subject and draftsmanship of the highest level.. Tim the "Eiderman"!
Thanks for sharing!

Paschalis

Quite. This latest piece is breathtaking, just cant stop looking at it. As with all of the very best watercolours I can see exactly how you painted it, but not how you did it...
Two of your signature species together, works so very well, and yes, eider are that big;)

Quite. This latest piece is breathtaking, just cant stop looking at it. As with all of the very best watercolours I can see exactly how you painted it, but not how you did it...
Two of your signature species together, works so very well, and yes, eider are that big;)

No secrets here, Alan - here's a close-up of the eider's back. It's about contouring the form, I think?

Attachments

• terns & eider zoom (800x545).jpg
    terns & eider zoom (800x545).jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 98
No secrets here, Alan - here's a close-up of the eider's back. It's about contouring the form, I think?

Nice to see this level of detail Tim...inspiring stuff...

Off to Hållogarn, the little baltic island I love so much, way up north on Thursday. suffice to say, I have stocked up on watercolours for the trip. Gonna splash some stained h2o around, out in the field...

Wow - not everyday I can say I've been watching a roller less than 10 miles from home . . . and certainly not everyday I can share that experience with Chris Rose :) . . . now, off to the exhibition opening - eeeeek!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back