• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which protection filter for EDG 85? (1 Viewer)

laccaria

Hi everybody,
is here anyone who can tell me, which protection filter matches to the EDG 85? I have seen there is a thread in front of the lense... Is it possible to place a filter in there?
Many thanks for your reply :)
Best wishes Sebastian

It seems that any lens filter will degrade the view. When the optical engineers see this kind of post, they just cringe !

These have good protection with the lens hood, I'm thinking ?

Jerry

Last edited:
The EDG 85 seems to have no filter thread

According to Nikon's german web page, the EDG 85 (A) does not have a filter thread: http://www.nikon.de/de_DE/product/s.../edg-fieldscopes/edg-fieldscope-85#fragment-2

Nevertheless I would not be surprised if this information was not correct - sometimes I doubt that Nikon is seriously interested in its own sports optics lineup. At least my ED 82A is equipped with a filter thread of 86mm and I use a B+W UV MRC filter as a lens protector without any problems.

According to Nikon's german web page, the EDG 85 (A) does not have a filter thread: http://www.nikon.de/de_DE/product/s.../edg-fieldscopes/edg-fieldscope-85#fragment-2

Nevertheless I would not be surprised if this information was not correct - sometimes I doubt that Nikon is seriously interested in its own sports optics lineup. At least my ED 82A is equipped with a filter thread of 86mm and I use a B+W UV MRC filter as a lens protector without any problems.

Not sure about the EDG specs. or whether they have filter threads, but it does not surprise me, that they do not, explained in my previous post.

In my experience filters on a scope degrade the view and performance.
Others have reported the same.

Jerry

Hi forent hi Jerry,
thank you for the informations. I have the EDG85A and it has a filter thread... Thats why i am asking here in the forum. I have seen the false information on the nikon-website, too ;-)
Because of the informations from forent, i will try to get a large filter... I think it must be a bigger one than the 86mm... But which one..?!
Best wishes Sebastian

I used to have a "protective" filter on my Leica Televid, but I learned my lesson when I accidentally dropped the scope on an airport floor many years ago. The scope itself was undamaged but the filter shattered on impact scarring the object lens so badly that I had to replace it.

But, I was going to get rid of the filter anyway for 2 reasons:
1. Degradation of image. The filter was an expensive one so admittedly the degradation was very slight.
2. Fogging of object lens. A serious problem, particularly in humid conditions.

Nowadays the only time I might consider using a filter on my scope would be for sea-watching if salt spray was a problem. Otherwise, never.

Hi forent hi Jerry,
thank you for the informations. I have the EDG85A and it has a filter thread... Thats why i am asking here in the forum. I have seen the false information on the nikon-website, too ;-)
Because of the informations from forent, i will try to get a large filter... I think it must be a bigger one than the 86mm... But which one..?!
Best wishes Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

no surprise that the information on Nikon's sportoptics website is wrong or uncomplete. I did a quick search on the internet and there seems indeed nowhere any information about the EDG scope's filter thread size. However, it should be possible to measure it by yourself. Take a ruler or even better a calliper and measure the distance at the thread from one side to the other. That should give you the number of the diameter or aperture in millimeter. The value after "M" like for example in "M86" is nothing else than the aperture size of the filter in millimeters. Sometimes you see a value like M86x1. The second value indicates the thread lead, also in millimeters. It can be measured by yourself too, but I think it's most likely a thread lead of 1 millimeter here, with the 85 EDG.
If you'll have done the measuring, it would be nice to post the result here.

Steve

Last edited:
Hi laccaria,

A soft rubber lens hood will fit on the front thread you noted and will be much more useful than any filter.
It cushions and protects the lens while in the backpack or in the event of a fall while also shading it in sunlight.

Hi Horukuru,
i do not have the manual for the scope :-(, i have bought it second hand without the original papers... I think i will be able to measure it the next days with a caliper :).
Best wishes
Sebastian

Sebastian,

who the heck sold an used EDG scope in Germany? I have never seen anybody who is using these scopes over here.

Steve

Hi Horukuru,
i do not have the manual for the scope :-(, i have bought it second hand without the original papers... I think i will be able to measure it the next days with a caliper :).
Best wishes
Sebastian

Sebastian:

I am wondering, what is the reason for adding a filter. I have tried one
and others have also. They do take away from the view.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,
i have tried a Hoya HD Filter on a Leica Apo Televid 77. I couldn't see any differences in the optical performance with or without filter. I'd like to use the scope for seabird-watching, so there is a kind of salty air ;-). I think for this application a filter with good optical performance is really important. Also to protect the frontlense against dust and stuff like this, such a filter make sense i think.

Sebastian

Sebastian,

I was leafing through an astronomy magazine (Interstellarum?) at the newsagent's recently and there was a test of clear or UV filters on an astro scope. As I recall there was very little degradation of the image with optically ground filters, but the price of these was in the €100 region. You might look at B+W.

John

IMO the dissenting opinions about filters has something to do with sample variation. Planar optics are more difficult and costly to produce than spheric ones. I once had an UV filter by B+W where the image degration was clearly visible. Now I have a Heliopan Polfilter that performs well.

Steve

Hi all, I finally managed to take a look at an EDG scope. It doesn't have a filter thread and the focal length seems to be more or less identical to the those of the old Fieldscope. EPs are opticalwise identical to the old ones as well, with the 20-60 zoom as an noticable exception.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back