Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

400th and bogey?

Old Tuesday 9th October 2018, 09:49   #101
melodious

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt j View Post
Or not, seeing as it's buggered off!
Thankfully Matt said he couldn't try until today; sometimes it pays to be in the slow lane!
Old Tuesday 9th October 2018, 10:07   #102
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodious View Post
Thankfully Matt said he couldn't try until today; sometimes it pays to be in the slow lane!
Deffo does, I was late going for the Courser on Scilly so picked up the Ovenbird as a massive bonus!
Old Tuesday 9th October 2018, 12:29   #103
melodious

Undoubtedly my best is as follows. It's 9th October 2016 and I'm stood chatting to Ian Smith at Easington Gas Terminal (usual subject; the impending imposition of the Furhrerbunker - think I might have just got myself a Spurn banning order, heyho, I'll be in good company). Ian's CB radio crackles 'Siberian Accentor....Scousburgh.... Shetland'. Instantly the chap next to us said 'I'm off!' and so he was, and at a jaunty pace. Four days later, several hundred pounds cheaper and about 300 metres from that spot....well, you know the rest of the story. 'He who shuffles....'
Old Tuesday 9th October 2018, 18:18   #104
Mike swims like a fish
Mike Hodgkin

400 was Dartford Warbler, saved it for the occasion after the Pennington Black-faced Bunting. Don’t twitch now, unless it’s close to Edinburgh, so still a few short of 500
Old Tuesday 9th October 2018, 21:01   #105
BumpkinBint

400th bird was Laughing Gull (Location lost in the mists of time but think it was either Dungeness or Minsmere)
Bogey bird is Olivaceous Warbler
Currently on 498 BOU so looking forward to my 500tn

SI
Old Tuesday 9th October 2018, 21:57   #106
Dave Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpkinBint View Post
400th bird was Laughing Gull (Location lost in the mists of time but think it was either Dungeness or Minsmere)
Bogey bird is Olivaceous Warbler
Currently on 498 BOU so looking forward to my 500tn

SI
Not our Beds one at Stewartby, Si? That one was literally almost lost in the mists the morning I saw it.
Old Tuesday 9th October 2018, 22:00   #107
Kev Rylands

400th Pallid Harrier at Elmley in 2002. 16 years and counting to 500...

Bogey: most dipped Red-breasted Nuthatch (six long days, those crossroads still haunt me). Omissions - Blyth's Reed, Black-headed Bunting, Lancy, Great Snipe
Old Tuesday 9th October 2018, 23:21   #108
Armand

400th Black Lark

bogey bird, i dont know if you can call them bogey birds really, short-toed lark i've never twitched one so that's not a bogey bird, just waiting for a very easy one

penduline tit i did dip twice many moons ago when they're were a considerable rarity, decided never twitching them again, i'll have to find one on my patch instead

edit: yeah, ive just remembered my defo bogey bird, yellow-billed cuckoo, dipped them three times and still haven't seen one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Thomas View Post
400th - Western Bonelli's Warbler, Landguard, Oct 96 (as for others, taxonomy has moved 400th around a bit over time)
Bogey - definitely Parula

how come you didnt get the one on portland?

Last edited by Armand : Tuesday 9th October 2018 at 23:32.
Old Wednesday 10th October 2018, 11:10   #109
Devonian Birder

400th - Great Bustard(during the great 1987 influx).
Bogey bird(s) Little Swift - dipped twice since 1983, Barrow's Goldeneye- dipped twice since 1979 and Amur Falcon - yes you guessed it - dipped twice last year !
Like quite a few on here I also need Great Snipe but I haven't dipped on that one yet !!!
Old Wednesday 10th October 2018, 11:25   #110
Paul Longland

[QUOTE

penduline tit i did dip twice many moons ago when they're were a considerable rarity, decided never twitching them again, i'll have to find one on my patch instead

[/quote]

There was a very obliging one in Gloucester a couple of years back surely they don't much closer to your back yard than that!
Old Wednesday 10th October 2018, 11:43   #111
NAB
Neil Blood - UK 432 (BOU) Semipalmated Sandpiper

400th Northern Waterthrush (my avatar is an actual painting the bird by Ren Hathway, which a mate had commissioned as a wedding present).

Bogey - P G Tips and Lancy
Old Wednesday 10th October 2018, 18:48   #112
Julian Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand View Post
how come you didnt get the one on portland?
Before I was twitching regularly (as were all the easy ones loads of people saw). I would go through my various travails with Parula, but (a) they're pretty dull for anyone else, and (b) having heard the full litany of Fred's near misses on White's Thrush, I've probably got off pretty lightly by comparison.

As to time to get from 400 to 500, no-one will get near Dan's record at 7 years, I suspect. I took 13 years for British List (W Bonelli's 6 Oct 96 to Brown Shrike at Staines 11 Oct 09), but 11 for British and Irish List (Buff-bellied Pipit on St Agnes, 1 Oct 96 to Flamborough Brown Fly 4 Oct 07).

Last edited by Julian Thomas : Wednesday 10th October 2018 at 18:53.
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 02:03   #113
Armand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Longland View Post
[QUOTE

There was a very obliging one in Gloucester a couple of years back surely they don't much closer to your back yard than that![/quote]

there's actually been a couple of recent winters with some birds up that way, but like i said, never twitching one again, my local patch is chew, we'll get one eventually i hope and with any luck i'll find it
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 05:34   #114
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

Disappointed that no one has come up with an eagle or albatross as a bogey.
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 05:39   #115
wolfbirder

Location: Wolverhampton - the true original Capital of the Black Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodious View Post
Undoubtedly my best is as follows. It's 9th October 2016 and I'm stood chatting to Ian Smith at Easington Gas Terminal (usual subject; the impending imposition of the Furhrerbunker - think I might have just got myself a Spurn banning order, heyho, I'll be in good company). Ian's CB radio crackles 'Siberian Accentor....Scousburgh.... Shetland'. Instantly the chap next to us said 'I'm off!' and so he was, and at a jaunty pace. Four days later, several hundred pounds cheaper and about 300 metres from that spot....well, you know the rest of the story. 'He who shuffles....'
Very true that. I'm still paying for my little jaunt by plane there to see that bird, its a good job I flew as it disappeared on the 3rd day I think, and altho I never wish anyone to dip, I did feel a sort of warm glow that I was one of just a few who connected with what was a real gem of a bird and real rarity.

I openly admit, that afternoon at work, when I saw another one at Easington, my heart sort of sank. And it bloody stayed for everyone. Though if there is a tiny consolation, it wasn't half as nice as the Scousburgh male.

My mate and premier birder Steve Nuttall travelled far more cheaply by ferry, and connected, and still likes to discuss the financial differentials whenever I see him (:-.

So 'he who shuffles' certainly applied on that occasion, and I can smirk at myself through gritted teeth these days, though it will probably always hit a real nerve as it cost me £700 (flights/car hire/airport parking/overnight accomm) to see what I thought was a cracking bird but also a one-off rarity.
Fav Birds - Hen/Pallid/Monty Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Hobby, Golden Eagle, Merlin, SE Owl, Pom Skua, Hawfinch, Wryneck, Redstart, Shrikes, Roller, Bee-eater's, Nightjar, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Spotted Redshank, any Warblers (especially yank ones)!
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 12:21   #116
melodious

On reflection I've rather exaggerated the story. I've just measured the distance between the conversation and 'skip marks the spot'; It was actually 100 metres. Sorry for that unnecessary embellishment. Cost wise I can't remember what Tom Goose charged for the return trip from Sheffield but somewhere in the nae bother-cuppa-tenner-your turn next time range.
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 12:40   #117
peterbrash

I’m in the same club as Mr Sweetland as in despite starting early I still haven’t (to my knowledge) broken 400.

First thing that I consider a twitch is great white egret on Mawdacch estuary in 1981 (when they were rare!).

Plenty of candidates for bogey bird, capercaillie, Kentish plover and bluethroat are examples of ‘easy’ ticks. Aquatic warbler might take it though. Dipped a couple, birdied an area in the early 80’s that used to get multiples in the nets. Saw a bird at Marazion late 80’s that remained as UTV’s. Also flushed a bird in a spring cereal crop in Pembrokeshire a few years ago that fitted the bill perfectly, yellowish-buff streaky warbler. Could have actually caught it in my butterfly net had I not dropped it after the initial sighting.
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 14:53   #118
yamyam
Beauty of the bird is more important than the scarcity of the species.

My 400th was American Bittern
Good Birding YAMYAM
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 17:02   #119
Runcorn Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamyam View Post
My 400th was American Bittern
Good Birding YAMYAM
Are you praising yourself ?
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 17:33   #120
Jon Turner

400 is down as Marmora's Warbler, which was closely followed by 401 Iberian Chiffchaff, back in 2010. I rarely travel for a bird outside the SW, so rely on what turns up in this region. Wales was an exception as there were 2 new birds available. Although I did go to Minsmere for the Swamphen - (from Hampshire). It left the night before....

I'll never get to 500. I've seen about 70 of the others on the British list where they belong, and can't get too excited about seeing them out of place and often in winter plumage over here.

Bogey is probably Arctic Warbler although I've never twitched one. Got a sniff on Scilly once, but it was a brief sighting and by the time we turned up in Holy Vale it was never seen again.

2 trips to Scotland and never saw Capercaillie either.

So far this year, I have added nothing except the retrospective Pelican, which I saw from my house. That's probably why I took the day trip to Lundy on Tuesday despite knowing the Green Warbler had already gone. Hey ho!
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 19:37   #121
PaulClack

My 400th was least sandpiper at Drayton Bassett in May 2002. 399 was golden oriole (!) and 401 collared fly. Either would have been more memorable than the least...

Not sure I have a bogey. Missing the Agnes White's thrush still smarts though.
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 11:01   #122
Dave Parker

After hours of "wasted" time sifting through my notebooks/databases it looks as though the Roch Baltimore Oriole in 1989 was my 400th bird. (200 was Hen Harrier, 300 was Quail) I've had a remarkably dip free career, with most since clawed back anyhow, but have dipped a couple of Pallid Swifts in Kent and another in Cornwall.
However I have always been a low league twitcher with family and business commitments, so plenty of birds I could/should have gone for, now happy just twitching in county.
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 11:51   #123
Paul Longland

I also am still a long way away from 400 and most probably will never get there, unless I start getting myself out to shetlands/scilly etc once I finally retire and have the time.

There are still one or two bogeys however that are leaving gaping holes in my lists and are now starting to rankle. Corncrake.... heard but not seen twice. Capercaille.... beginning to think they do not actually exist And finally that bloody Strontian Black Duck..... I have had at least two goes every year for the last four years whilst on holiday and/or birding trips and failed to connect every time (seen plenty of his little hybrid kiddies but never the daddy) One time I went, apparently for days before I was there it was seen sitting on someone's front lawn every day
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 14:51   #124
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Longland View Post
I also am still a long way away from 400 and most probably will never get there, unless I start getting myself out to shetlands/scilly etc once I finally retire and have the time.

There are still one or two bogeys however that are leaving gaping holes in my lists and are now starting to rankle. Corncrake.... heard but not seen twice. Capercaille.... beginning to think they do not actually exist And finally that bloody Strontian Black Duck..... I have had at least two goes every year for the last four years whilst on holiday and/or birding trips and failed to connect every time (seen plenty of his little hybrid kiddies but never the daddy) One time I went, apparently for days before I was there it was seen sitting on someone's front lawn every day
Try different times of year/day and/or allot more time (= higher priority) to them within the context of the trip. I agree the Black Duck can be a royal pain but actually its quite a nice bird - if you are mentally dissing it, stop, its probably jinxing you!

John
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 15:12   #125
Paul Longland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Try different times of year/day and/or allot more time (= higher priority) to them within the context of the trip. I agree the Black Duck can be a royal pain but actually its quite a nice bird - if you are mentally dissing it, stop, its probably jinxing you!

John
Unfortunately limited to holidays etc but have variously done April, through to August , High tide, low tide, Am/PM etc etc. I am not dissing it - just getting desperate before it becomes an ex black duck and shuffles of the mortal coil.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: