Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

400th and bogey?

Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 11:20   #1
andyadcock

400th and bogey?

In the spirit of reminiscing and when the number was far more impressive than it is now, what was the 400th species for your British / Irish list?

What's your biggest bogey bird in the UK, a species you've missed several times and which may be a regular visitor.

400th, Broad-billed Sandpiper, a bogey for me at the time and I'd been for 5-6 before I connected.

Bogey, Caspian Tern, still haven't connected in the UK.
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 11:34   #2
NSH

Dark-eyed Junco my 400th, first attempt for one in a Chester garden!
Bogie bird doesn't meet your criteria as only missed one by leaving the site way too early. And not managed the enthusiasm for Shetland or Fair Isle as yet. Lanceolated Warbler.

Neil
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 12:12   #3
melodious

As mentioned on another thread, I've lost track of #400 as recent taxonomic changes haven't been kind. It was Little Bittern at one point but I've lost (at least for the time being) several pre-dating that such as Isabelline Shrike and Siberian Stonechat.

Ortolan Buntings really don't care for me, certainly the commonest yet to go.
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 12:44   #4
Runcorn Birder

400 was Northern Waterthrush on Scillies in 2011. Bogey has changed over the years (eventually connect with them) but currently Red Eyed Vireo. Most regularly appearing gap on my list with several long distance dips.
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 13:01   #5
WACCOE
Marching on Together

Not a massive British lister prefer my York's list but got my 400th this year with Greater Sand Plover current bogey bird Corncrake tried several times this year at North Duffield.

World 1424 Versicoloured Emeraldl, Western Pal 528 Scops Owl, UK 401 Arctic
Redpoll ,Yorkshire 352 Arctic Redpoll
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 14:26   #6
AlanMatthews
AlanM

400th was Oriental Pratincole at Frampton. My list is a bit uneven, seen two Thick-billed Warblers and two Royal Terns, but no Blackpoll Warbler.
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 15:53   #7
Larry Sweetland
Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'

Pretty sure I haven't reached 400 in UK yet, and probably never will, even though my first twitch was the Dummer Scops Owl nearly 40 years ago. (Seen more than half the world's bird species since then though )

Red-throated Pipit springs to mind as something I should probably have seen in the UK by now. Until last year that title definitely went to Great Shearwater.
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 16:22   #8
Farnboro John

I think given the vicissitudes of taxonomy the best thing to do is nominate the bird you celebrated at the time as your 400th. In my case that was Red-breasted Nuthatch. (FWIW 500th was Ovenbird.)

As far as bogeys go, I've missed a number of birds once but I don't think I have a current double miss to take the lead. However, I do have a current lead in terms of hurt and its the Eastern Yellow Wagtail found on Unst after we were back on Mainland yesterday!

John
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 16:31   #9
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
I think given the vicissitudes of taxonomy the best thing to do is nominate the bird you celebrated at the time as your 400th. In my case that was Red-breasted Nuthatch. (FWIW 500th was Ovenbird.)

As far as bogeys go, I've missed a number of birds once but I don't think I have a current double miss to take the lead. However, I do have a current lead in terms of hurt and its the Eastern Yellow Wagtail found on Unst after we were back on Mainland yesterday!

John
Ovenbird and Courser were ticked on the same day thanks to not rushing in for the Courser and having to make a second trip and that was the last time I twitched the Scillies.

I may have a week there next year when we all move back to the UK.
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 16:31   #10
melodious

Good point about taxonomy, John. For anyone taking a strict compliance to BOU attitude it could be a long, long while before you have a definitive answer.

Last edited by melodious : Thursday 4th October 2018 at 17:42.
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 16:56   #11
melodious

Not a bogey anymore but for the sheer amount of attempts, length of mind-numbingly forlorn waits and excruciating narrowness of misses (countable on one occasion in a handful of metres) Buff-breasted Sandpiper had the running for a fair while. Inevitably, perhaps, when I did see my first one it was, and remained contentedly throughout, at spitting distance.

Last edited by melodious : Thursday 4th October 2018 at 17:05.
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 17:08   #12
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodious View Post
Not a bogey anymore but for the sheer amount of attempts, length of mind-numbingly forlorn waits and excruciating narrowness of misses (countable on one occasion in a handful of metres) Buff-breasted Sandpiper had the running for a fair while. Inevitably, perhaps, when I did see my first one it was, and remained contentedly throughout, at spitting distance.
The rarest bird I've found, Notts c1992
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 17:17   #13
melodious

Thankfully that wasn't one of the dips!
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 17:22   #14
Andy Hall
Notts Birder and Recorder

400th = Squacco Heron on Scilly in Spring 1994. Particularly memorable because it was sharing a ditch with a Little Bittern! I pretty well packed in twitching around the same time.

I don't really have a bogey bird.
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 17:28   #15
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hall View Post
400th = Squacco Heron on Scilly in Spring 1994. Particularly memorable because it was sharing a ditch with a Little Bittern! I pretty well packed in twitching around the same time.

I don't really have a bogey bird.
That cos you're an old timer Andy, hope you're well.
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 17:30   #16
melodious

No official retirement but I'm twitching very little of any distance at the moment. But to experience something of the joys and pains all you have to do is narrow down the geographical area; I now have Audouin's Gull, Baltic Gull and Crag Martin on my local area list but the search for a Spotted Redshank is killing me!
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 18:15   #17
Andy Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
That cos you're an old timer Andy, hope you're well.
Yes thanks, Andy. I'm (slowly) building a Dutch list now!
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 18:46   #18
Xenospiza
Undescribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hall View Post
Yes thanks, Andy. I'm (slowly) building a Dutch list now!
On my Dutch list, nr 400 used to be Red-eyed Vireo, so I'll stick with that. There is the grim possibility that with international taxonomy, nr 400 would change to something with high plastic potential.

My bogey bird is Puffin (in fact, I would finally have seen one in NL if I had taken last Monday and Tuesday off, instead of today and tomorrow).
I don't want to see it at the only Dutch location where it is at times twitchable, because it will be too distant for my liking!
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 19:38   #19
wolfbirder

Nearly at 450 now but birding has really dried up for me this year, can't recall which my 400th was. But it sure felt good at the time.

Biggest bogey bird is Tawny Pipit, when they were once common and easy, I ignored them, having seen many in Europe. Now much much harder here. Also been out of the Country for Lesser Kestrels and Trumpeter Finches, and my wheel fell off my car on the way to the Black Lark Anglesey bird.

Perhaps my biggest gripper is Upland Sandpiper, in 2011 I went to Scilly for what was a marvellous trip with Northern Waterthrush, Wilson's Snipe, and Red-throated Pipit, but when I tried to see the Upland Sand it had been flushed into another field. And I spent nearly all the time chasing after the Northern Waterthrush, which was only seen at dusk. The Upland Sand was a long stayer though, so I actually drove back down again to Penzance for the ferry to St Mary's a few weeks later, but it departed overnight on what must have been its last day of a 3-4 week stay. Bugger! Still need it.

But that's the adrenalin rush and love for birding, you just have to look back and laugh.
Fav Birds - Hen/Pallid/Monty Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Hobby, Golden Eagle, Merlin, SE Owl, Pom Skua, Hawfinch, Wryneck, Redstart, Shrikes, Roller, Bee-eater's, Nightjar, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Spotted Redshank, any Warblers (especially yank ones)!

Last edited by wolfbirder : Thursday 4th October 2018 at 19:41.
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 19:59   #20
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

My 400th was the second tick of a two tick day - Redhead at Bleasby after Cedar Waxwing in Nottingham.

My bogey is Serin - been for a few, even saw one flying over Portland over thirty years ago. Identified by a birder I was with at the time, he heard it, I didn't, so I didn't tick it. Seen plenty in Spain and Portugal since, but still none in the UK.
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 20:06   #21
Phil Bishop

At the time, the Blakeny Pallas's Gropper was my 400th. However, one or two previously seen subspecies have been promoted and I might have lost a couple (all my Isabelline Shrikes are currently in limbo).
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 20:13   #22
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWN Andrewes View Post
My 400th was the second tick of a two tick day - Redhead at Bleasby after Cedar Waxwing in Nottingham.

My bogey is Serin - been for a few, even saw one flying over Portland over thirty years ago. Identified by a birder I was with at the time, he heard it, I didn't, so I didn't tick it. Seen plenty in Spain and Portugal since, but still none in the UK.
Walked to the Waxwing from home....

The first person I saw that morning, scanning the Waxwing flocks was Brett Richards. That was a massive year for Waxwings in the UK with the roosting flock in Nottingham City centre, comprising well over a thousand birds.

Last edited by andyadcock : Thursday 4th October 2018 at 20:15.
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 20:20   #23
Andy Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenospiza View Post
On my Dutch list, nr 400 used to be Red-eyed Vireo, so I'll stick with that. There is the grim possibility that with international taxonomy, nr 400 would change to something with high plastic potential.

My bogey bird is Puffin (in fact, I would finally have seen one in NL if I had taken last Monday and Tuesday off, instead of today and tomorrow).
I don't want to see it at the only Dutch location where it is at times twitchable, because it will be too distant for my liking!
Ah I jammed a Puffin on a seawatch from Westerslag on Texel, last autumn. Pretty tricky bird in Netherlands.
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 20:40   #24
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

I think my 400th may have been arctic warbler but my bogey bird was definitely quail: I had a UK list of a couple short of 500 before I saw one in the UK. Although, tbh, by then I had lost any real interest in listing many years before.

@SteveBabbs
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 20:53   #25
Runcorn Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Babbs View Post
I think my 400th may have been arctic warbler but my bogey bird was definitely quail: I had a UK list of a couple short of 500 before I saw one in the UK. Although, tbh, by then I had lost any real interest in listing many years before.
Concur with Quail. Took many many hours stood next to a field hearing and waiting and hearing and waiting before getting lucky.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: