• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox BN 7x50 DCM has green tint? (1 Viewer)

bruno28

Hello,

So after getting my Minox BL 8x44 HD, I decided to get a Nautic series binoculars which are fixed focus, just to try out as it was at a very good price.

But after further use i realised that the right side lens had a bit of a green tint, while the left was more of a warmer colour and natural. Is this something common as it has the screen on the right side to display some informations like compass, altitude, timer, etc?

Have a look at the photos and video I T made:
Right side:
http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss133/Bruno-28/others/20170119_170033_zpsmtrxrlui.jpg

Left side:
http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss133/Bruno-28/others/20170119_170038_zpswv4pgkux.jpg

Video
The colour was set to sunlight so that auto balance does not mess with colour, so was manual focus and iso set. The only thing automatic was exposure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Wbi7HTEEw

Last edited:
Bruno,

I don't know the model, so can't say if it is normal, but it strikes me it's a possible consequence of the display as you suggest. Others might know more about the possible optical paths, but I'm supposing the data is simpultaneously viewed through a partial mirror. Perhaps 80% of the light you see is from the scene, and the other 20% is a reflection of the electronic display. It might be the reflective material itself, other coatings on the mirror, or some glow from the display that imparts a colour change. Wether it should be like that is another matter. It probably makes no practical difference to nautical use, but I'm sure it would irritate me for terrestrial use.

David

Hi,

i think there is a liquid crystal display with a clear glass substrate in the light path like a reticle and there is no equally thick piece of glass in the other tube which creates the difference. Also the exit pupils look quite a bit truncated, probably due to too small prisms.

Joachim

Thanks David and Joachim for your assistance. So then i shouldn't worry too much about it, as i have seen, its not the whole lens that is 'Green" its a diagonal from top left to bottom right. I have still sent the video and photo to minox to see their reply on this matter, just in case its an issue.
Thanks

So i have received an email back from Minox and they said the green tint is normal. This is due to the screen with the electronics. SO there is nothing to worry about. I hope this also answers anyone else question about the green tint on the right side.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back