Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

The return of the tern!

Old Wednesday 25th January 2017, 16:27   #1
chloethequink

The return of the tern!

Hello folks,
I wondered if you could help me. I'm on a search to discover more about my great aunt Hilda, who was a naturalist and rose-grower. I'm writing about her. She loved to watch terns feeding so I am off in search of one. I tried in the autumn but they had migrated! So... I want to greet them on their return. Perhaps an arctic tern. I wondered if anyone knew when they might be back to the UK first and where? She used to go to Anglesea so perhaps I'll head that way. April??
Any tips gratefully received!
Chloe
Old Thursday 26th January 2017, 05:13   #2
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Cemlyn Bay on Anglesey is one place you could visit - but May rather than risking being too early in April.

The North East - eg. Farne Islands hold more Arctics - and Scotland is a stronghold.

Common Terns are to found alongside Arctics in many places, often more Common in more southern parts.

Nearer to London, Dungeness is a good place for terns.

Good luck,

H
Old Thursday 2nd February 2017, 20:43   #3
IAN JAMES THOMPSON

Don't forget Coquet Island of the coast of Northumberland near Amble, more or less the only place in the UK where you'll find the rare Roseate Tern nesting. Although there are a very small amount of places in the Republic of Ireland where they nest. You can't land on Coquet Island, but there are boat trip going very close in to the Island and good views of the Roseate Tern.
Ian.
Old Sunday 12th February 2017, 05:37   #4
aeshna5

Thoroughly recommend places above but just to inform you that Common Tern is a fairly widespread breeding bird in the London area so you wouldn't have to travel far to see these. There is something special though about a big tern colony- you'll certainly get close on the Farnes! Magical place.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: