• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (2 Viewers)

2018 photo memories

A few memoral photos (for me) from this year.

Attachments

• Barn Owl DSC_7062.jpg
    Barn Owl DSC_7062.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Blue Tit DSC_6935.jpg
    Blue Tit DSC_6935.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Nightjar DSC_6343.jpg
    Nightjar DSC_6343.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
A Few more Barn Owl pics - a different bird than the previous pics.

Attachments

• _AWG9641 copy.jpg
    _AWG9641 copy.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 46
  • _AWG9731 copy.jpg
    _AWG9731 copy.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 28
  • _AWG9742 copy.jpg
    _AWG9742 copy.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 33
Sister and I went to Low Barns last week and saw a Little Egret about a quarter mile up-river, she actually saw it catch a fish using my 45x eyepiece. Wondered how common they are in the North these days as they used to be confined to the south?

Also wondering where the crossbills are...Kielder?

Little Egret are pretty common now.....I had one at Amble Harbour today and have often ticked them off on New Years Day at Budle Bay :t: I saw my first in 2006 at Hauxley after dipping out loads of times but now I still get a thrill every time I see one as I just adore the heron family.

Crossbills.....Mark Eaton had some two days ago just outside Alnwick and I've had them in early July at Barrowburn in Northumberland. I'm sure there'll some good Crossbill sites in Durham and someone will be along soon to tell you where to find them.

Thanks for the information; I've seen crossbills in an arboretum in Norfolk, and would love to take my sister to see them somewhere local for her. Thinking maybe Hamsterley has the habitat?

Crossbills

Thanks for the information; I've seen crossbills in an arboretum in Norfolk, and would love to take my sister to see them somewhere local for her. Thinking maybe Hamsterley has the habitat?

Hamsterley is a good place to see them but it is a large forest, the Stang on the other hand is a lot smaller and at the moment reasonably reliable - theres a car park half way up on the West side where people sometimes see them, or you can view from the top of the Stang above the hairpin bends !

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back