• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Nikon 1 camera and dedicated 75-300mm lens (1 Viewer)

I think it could be a real game changer with the new 70-300 lens Looking forward to more images from birders when it is available.

This would be a great walk around combo. Would give the Canon SX50 and the Panasonic 100-300 for Micro Four Thirds a run for their money.
Neil.

I'm more interested in the best possible image quality; I'm happy to "walk around" with my much heavier Nikon D7100 & 300mm f/4+1.4X teleconverter...

Despite the increased 810mm equivalent "reach" of the V3 + 70-300mm (compared to 630mm equivalent on the system above), I'm guessing I would be disappointed with the image quality due to the smaller, higher pixel density sensor. BUT... I'm not sure. The dramatic weight savings would be nice, and it sounds like even the current Nikon V2 system continuous focus/fps ability is possibly the best around, so I wonder whether I could be tempted due to advantages on birds in flight, etc... It would have to be very tempting to make me pay $2K and adopt a new "walk around" system... And I also wonder how long it will be until larger sensor cameras like my Olympus m-4/3 have continuous shooting capabilities that match the Nikon 1 systems. Interesting times...

--Dave

Last edited:
I'm not too sure this 70-300 is that well thought out. There appears to be an add-on tripod foot, but it does not appear to connect like a tripod foot with a rotation collar. This means that a) the lens cannot be used in portrait mode without flopping the rig sideways on the tripod head, and b) you cannot use the collar to adjust for horizon tilt, which is something I do all the time. While the lens is clearly aimed at the hand-held user, for my needs a decent tripod mount at a 810mm equivalent focal length would be mandatory, VR or no VR.

I'm also unsure because there is no mention of AFS, and it's not even clear that the 70-300 has a manual focus option. So far, the only Nikon 1 lens with manual focus override is the 32mm, I believe.

Apparently the 'AF-S' nomenclature is not being used on the Nikon 1 Series lenses. The Nikon USA website shows the badges 'SWM' and 'M/A' on the 32mm, but not on the 70-300. A 70-300 with no manual focus option? They must be very proud of their AF.

Last edited:
I'm not too sure this 70-300 is that well thought out. There appears to be an add-on tripod foot, but it does not appear to connect like a tripod foot with a rotation collar. This means that a) the lens cannot be used in portrait mode without flopping the rig sideways on the tripod head, and b) you cannot use the collar to adjust for horizon tilt, which is something I do all the time. While the lens is clearly aimed at the hand-held user, for my needs a decent tripod mount at a 810mm equivalent focal length would be mandatory, VR or no VR.

I'm also unsure because there is no mention of AFS, and it's not even clear that the 70-300 has a manual focus option. So far, the only Nikon 1 lens with manual focus override is the 32mm, I believe.

Apparently the 'AF-S' nomenclature is not being used on the Nikon 1 Series lenses. The Nikon USA website shows the badges 'SWM' and 'M/A' on the 32mm, but not on the 70-300. A 70-300 with no manual focus option? They must be very proud of their AF.

Important points, but I guess we will see in the fullness of time.

FYI I currently shoot my 300mm f4 AF-S lens on the V1 without a tripod - the amazingly fast fps (especially in "Electronic (Hi)" mode) means that it is possible to do. I have even done this successfully when using a 1.4 TC on the 300mm (equivalent focal length of 1,134mm).

One thing I would be interested to know is how much of an improvement in high ISO performance there will be in the V3 over the V1 (which I consider to be a bit limited).

Important points, but I guess we will see in the fullness of time.

FYI I currently shoot my 300mm f4 AF-S lens on the V1 without a tripod - the amazingly fast fps (especially in "Electronic (Hi)" mode) means that it is possible to do. I have even done this successfully when using a 1.4 TC on the 300mm (equivalent focal length of 1,134mm).

One thing I would be interested to know is how much of an improvement in high ISO performance there will be in the V3 over the V1 (which I consider to be a bit limited).
I agree the 300 f4 with the electronic shutter works very well in spite of of VR though not so good for birds in flight. That's where the new lens will shine. Hope the V3 IQ is better than the V1 with more pixels but we will see.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back