• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

6x Yosemite vs. Katmai, image quality (1 Viewer)

jedku

Marc
Has anyone had the chance to compare the view through the 6x30 Yosemites with the 6x32 Katmais?
I am not asking about differences between roof and Porro prisms, parallax, near focus, nor handling, ruggedness, price, specs, etc. Simply want to know the difference in overall image quality. For those who have used both, are they equal?
Thanks.

Has anyone had the chance to compare the view through the 6x30 Yosemites with the 6x32 Katmais?
I am not asking about differences between roof and Porro prisms, parallax, near focus, nor handling, ruggedness, price, specs, etc. Simply want to know the difference in overall image quality. For those who have used both, are they equal?
I was really hoping someone would answer this, because I have the Yosemites and am fancying the Katmais. But Katmai questions get very few answers in general. Is this just because of the relative unpopularity of 6x for adult bins?

Michael

I found this blog which reviews several bins. Towards the end the author briefly compares the image of the Yosemites and Katmais. He concludes that he cannot see a difference in the image quality. But he does not seem to be a birder nor very experienced with quality binoculars. At least there are some nice photographs including a side by side of the 2 models.
For what it is worth:
http://portlandhikers.com/forums/thread/22228.aspx
Scroll down to the Leopold reviews at the bottom of the page.

Michael,
While we wait for someone who has compared them maybe you can tell us why you are looking at the Katmais even though you have the Yosemites now. Any problems with or comments on the Yosemites?

Thanks,
Marc

Last edited:
While we wait for someone who has compared them maybe you can tell us why you are looking at the Katmais even though you have the Yosemites now. Any problems with or comments on the Yosemites?
The only problem I have with the Yosemite is the close focus. I want binoculars to be able to focus on my boots. I'm fed up having to take several steps back when I want to look at a butterfly or dragonfly on the path.

I find the review in your link very useful. I had doubts about the Katmai's ergonomics and the picture of the Katmai and Yosemite side by side made me think it might suit me very well. The problem is it's hard to come by in this country.

Michael

Marc/Michael,

I have looked through both of these, outside, in various conditions, but not side by side.

The 6x specimen of Yosemite I tried was not a good one, at least in comparison to the 8x version which I tried alongside. It seemed like a collimation issue; all I know for sure is that it really strained the eyes trying to get a good image. However, the 8x specimen was quite impressive, especially for the money. Image wise, I did note that they exhibited some undesirable effects in challenging lighting situations; it was not an extreme negative, just some noticeable glare/ghosting from streetlights for instance.

The 6x Katmais were very nice binoculars to my eyes. The only real issue was that I just couldn't seem to see enough detail. It could've simply been the 6x power. It could've been the BAK7 glass. Either way, I was still impressed enough to strongly consider the 8x version. The only problem was the narrow FOV. Stray light, back-lighting, etc was NO problem with the Katmais. The size is very handy and (for me) still very easy to focus, etc.

In comparison, given choice between the two, I would go with the Katmais in either power version, as long as price was not a consideration. The quality/price of either model seems reasonable. If the Katmais had a wider FOV in 8x, I would probably own a pair.

FWIW: It seems like most here have preferred the 6x EO Ranger Platinums. I've not looked through those to compare.

Hope this helps, APS

Jedku,

I have tried both these binos, but with more than a year apart. What I recall the Katmai 6x32 is a great binocular with a sharp and clear image, but not to the very edges. According to as well the technical specifications and my experience the eye relief is a bit longer with the Yosemite.

Though I have not compared them side by side I am sure that the optical performance is very equal, and that the Yosemite offers much better optical value for the money than the Katmai.
But Katmai is a roof (always cost more for the same optical performance) and is more compact and reliable than the Yosemite 6x30. These properties MAY be worth to pay for.

I am very satisfied with my recently bought Yosemite, however.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:
Although I have never looked through the Yosemite 6x32, I do own the Katmai 6x32 and want to offer the following comments.

• The newer models are made with BAK7 glass.
  • They offer a quick easy view and are good for birdwatching in limited distance situations, such as birding in forests and fields. They are also very comfortable to carry and look through. I do not notice any eye strain.
  • They are very good in low light situations, such as forests, dawn, and twilight.
  • They are very rugged and have become my most frequently used binocular. However, I still use my 8x33 and 8.5x44 models from different manufacturers.
  • They work well in most types of birding when paired with a spotting scope. This overcomes the "lack of detail" some experience with a 6x binocular.
  • They work well in closeup situations, minimum closeup is 4.9 feet (1.5 meters). I have used them extensively for butterfly watching this summer.

I hope the above comments help.

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

Bob,

The Yosemite 6x30 is advertised as the "family binocular" and especially suited for children. That I agree with. But actually the Katmai would be an even better choice for children with the internal focusing and more reliable performance. I think the reason the Katmai isn,t advertised as a binocular suited for children is the price tag. Few people want to pay 1/2-1/3 of a monthly salary for a binocular to a 7 years old child. I GUESS!

Regards, Patric

Hello Jedku,

I re-read the review swedpat wrote recently regarding his experience with the Yosemites which is as far as I remember a confirmation of previous posts reg. these bins. I am considering a pair as a "walk around all day at work with pair". I have however no personal experience with them. I did buy a pair of 6x32 Katmais a while back and was disappointed primarily because they didn't seem to be as sharp as I expected. My main bin is the SE 8x32 which I find to be a great bin inspite of it's user unfriendliness reputation. I do not intend to compare the two but the Katmais are too expensive for what they optically give. Ergonomically they are great and very easy to have with you due to their size. I returned them because of the optical quality.

Last edited:
The Yosemite 6x30 is advertised as the "family binocular" and especially suited for children. That I agree with. But actually the Katmai would be an even better choice for children with the internal focusing and more reliable performance. I think the reason the Katmai isn,t advertised as a binocular suited for children is the price tag.

No, the problem with the Katmai for many children and even some adults (especially women) is that is has a minimum interpupillary setting of 57 mm. The Yosemite adjusts down to 50 mm.

As for the price tag, here in the states they sell for about $300. That's not cheap, but it isn't anything close to 1/3-1/2 of a month's salary for a typical individual in the binocular buying demographic (more like 1/10 or far less!).

--AP

Last edited:
Alexis,

Yes you are right, the prices in the states are about the half of the prices here in Sweden and Scandinavia, and my statement isn't really corresponding to the states.

About the interpupillary setting the difference of 7mm doesn't seem big, but I understand that may play a decisive role for small children.

Regards, Patric

I have a pair of 6x30 Yosemite (daughters pair) and today received the
Katmai (bought for my dads upcoming birthday)

I like the Yosemite a lot. But I think the one with the better view is
the Katmai. Is it worth 3 times ($89 vs $289) paid for the Yosemite?

If the binos would live at the living room window, then I go with the Yosemite

If I had to chase down birds in the field and use them daily the Katmai would win hands down. They're kind of close optically, but other than that they are much different in handling.

FOV: Both are wide... Katmai seems a little more like 6.5x. Could be better resolution
or sharpness. Katmai has more usable field. The view is same as full size bino.
both have great depth of field.

Build: Katmai. Seems very solid. I thought it would be lighter

Handling: Katmai. No contest. Yosemites focusing is slow and squishy. Katmai
is nice and smooth and fairly quick. Very easy to get on birds fast.

Back to the original question.
Katmai has a better, easier, view with better eye relief and a full sized bino view.
I think it's sharper... further to the edge. Much, much more relaxed to use.
Eye relief is more forgiving as well.

3x the price for the Katmai is the question. If you had them both in your hands and could afford both the Katmai is the best in every way... no question.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks Oleaf for your report!

I agree about the focusing of the Yosemite. But I am surprised you find the eye relief better with the Katmai. As well the technical specs and my memory points to the opposite. But I could be wrong, one and a half year ago since I tried the Katmai may be too long time.

Regards, Patric

Hi Swedpat,

For the time being (until the Katmai's go to my dad) they are sitting side by side.

I'm not sure if its because of the slightly larger exit pupil or not... but instantly they are more comfortable than the Yosemite. The Eye relief specs are so close it's not a case of one being 12mm and one being 20mm. They are 19.4 vs 20mm. 1/2 a mm is not much to be concerned with. It’s easy to get lost in the spec of something and loose sight of the real world application. Specs don't tell the whole story here. I wear glasses too, so eye relief has always been something I struggle with.

The FOV is more sharp and usable to the edge than the Yosemites.

The Katami is nice to use in the field and at a couple hundred more $$ it had better be easier to use. If it just boiled down to price/performabnce the Yosemites don't have competition as far as I'm concerned. But if you're in the marsh... the brush... really using binoculars in the field the Katmai is the choice. And if you can comfortably spend the extra money it is well worth it. At the $289 price they cost in the states this is a very good bargain in a small bino with a full size view.

I must say, all the photos of the Katamai on the web make it look like a cheap toy.
This is not the case in hand. The build is better than the Yosemite.

As a complete package the Yosemites are not the equal of the Katmai. I think the bigger question is how the person will actually use the binoculars. This will determine if they are worth the extra money.

Cheers

Last edited:
Oleaf,

The stated eye relief of the Katmai 6x32 has earlier been 16mm (I think it was 16,6mm). Now I see the number of 19,2mm. I suppose that the eye relief may be improved?

Regards, Patric

Swedpat,

I don't think it's 16. The box says it's 19.2

Today I spent an hour really looking between the two.

Katimai has more FOV in focus. And you can really "look around" the veiw.

But, The Yosemite has better contrast and could be a little sharper in the middle.
For sure it has better contrast. The view starts to distort sooner towards the edge.

I really think this Katmai is 6.5x or even 7x. (maybe just one one I have?)

And boy... I can get on birds FAST with the Katmai!

The Yosemite is really, really nice though.

Splitting hairs on the view... both are great.

Cheers

Oleaf,

I am not surprised of your impression of the on-axis sharpness and contrast of the Yosemite, who I find be very good. As I mentioned in my review of the Yosemite, the on-axis sharpness is better than my Pentax 8x43 DCF SP. A binocular I THINK is in every respect in par to the Katmai.

But as you mentioned; sharpness strongly worsens at the outer part (maybe beyond 70%) of the FOV. The Pentax 8x43 is much better in this respect. A person who are used to have sharpness to the edges likely will instantly react against this, but I don't. I only notice it sometimes when panning and when looking at objects who fills upp the most of, or, the entire FOV.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:
Hello all,

It may instructive to note that the Katmai 6x32 was the top ranked binocular in it's price range, according to the Cornell Review (scroll to the bottom of the article and see "Mid Price" in the chart summary):

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/LivingBird/Winter2005/Age_Binos.html

I must admit to not being the least bit surprised. A friend of mine has the 8x32 Katmai and that is one very sharp and well-built peice of equipment.

Cheers,

Robert

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Robert!

I am surprised that as well the Katmai 6x32 and Swift 8x44(roof) receive higher rates of the image quality than Pentax 8x43 DCF SP.

This isn't the impression you get when reading the rewiews of http://www.optics4birding.com/RevPentaxDCFSP.aspx.
Check out the summary: Overall, the Pentax DCF SP line is very impressive. This is top-of-the-line optical performance in binoculars at half to two-thirds of the price normally charged for this level. These are serious binoculars for serious birders, and we expect to see quite a few of them in the field.

At the review of the Katmai's the summary is: Good optics in a highly portable package – Leupold may well have re-invented a niche here!

The rating of this forum isn't either bad:

Patric,
You are more than welcomed. Let me just say that my favorite binocular is the Leica Ultravid x32. But IF I was not in a position to own one because of financial considerations, my first choice would probably be the Katmai in an 8x32. Solid and impressive little unit, it is.
Cheers,
Robert

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back