• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which binoculars did you use for the Big Garden Birdwatch 2019? (1 Viewer)

mpeace

Hi, bit of a blatant plug for the UK RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch 2019, which if you haven't taken part in you've still got today and tomorrow to - anyone can do it and just involves counting the maximum number of each bird species you see in your garden at any one time during an hour: https://www.rspb.org.uk/get-involved/activities/birdwatch/

It's an interesting activity counting the maximum number of a species in a busy garden when they're all moving around. In my garden it's mostly bluetits and with hedges on each side, trees at the back and a busy feeder trying to get a count is not as easy as it first seems. I had 3 binoculars to hand - Swarovski EL 8.5x42 FP, Nikon Monarch 8x30 HG and Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25. Any one would be fine, but I ended up using the Nikon Monarch 8x30 HG most - light and big field of view - great for rapidly scanning back and forth round the whole garden.

If you're in the UK and haven't done the birdwatch yet, it's great fun and really useful data for the RSPB, so hope you give it a go.

Was going to do it this afternoon, but weather is pretty bad so will do it tomorrow afternoon using a Swarovski EL 8x32 FP.

Ours was held a fortnight ago by NABU (German equivalent of RSPB).
Here are the results: https://www.nabu.de/tiere-und-pflan...stunde-der-wintervoegel/ergebnisse/21784.html
The Tree Sparrow in third place surprised me, as I haven't seen one in years.
Used my old 7x42 SLC and was rewarded by a couple of Goldcrests, five Long-tailed Tits, a Short-toed Treecreeper and Wren among others.

John

PS:- Click on "Rangliste 2019" for results

Last edited:
None. I can ID all (10 birds of 5 species) in my garden without. Max. distance is 20mtrs, I don’t Have a castle and a park ;)

None. I can ID all (10 birds of 5 species) in my garden without. Max. distance is 20mtrs, I don’t Have a castle and a park ;)

Using the old 1x image-stabalised, wide-angle organic optics approach - good choice. I could probably have done the same if it wasn't for the bushes and the dark overcast day. But I suppose I just like viewing with binoculars.

Ours was held a fortnight ago by NABU (German equivalent of RSPB).
Here are the results: https://www.nabu.de/tiere-und-pflan...stunde-der-wintervoegel/ergebnisse/21784.html
The Tree Sparrow in third place surprised me, as I haven't seen one in years.
Used my old 7x42 SLC and was rewarded by a couple of Goldcrests, five Long-tailed Tits, a Short-toed Treecreeper and Wren among others.

John

PS:- Click on "Rangliste 2019" for results

Interesting to compare the studies. It appears some species that are seemingly declining here are increasing in Germany and vicar-versa. I was pleased to see a Wren as well and glad the pair of Black Caps that are regulars showed up for the count. I can imagine a 7x would have been good.

Was going to do it this afternoon, but weather is pretty bad so will do it tomorrow afternoon using a Swarovski EL 8x32 FP.

Hope it goes well. Nice and sunny today, so should be good. I'd of definitely been using the Swarovski EL 8x32 FP if I had one for my count.

actually, I use my near-sighted-correcting glasses, and while I have very fancy glasses with Zeiss glass, I mostly use my Hans Anders cheapo-plastic made-in-china glasses!

When using binoculars I mostly use my Zeiss 7x42 T*FL so I can follow the action at the feeding place without having to turn left-and-right...Sometimes a telescope but with two little kids in the house that's not gonna stay put for long without them touching / turning or simply pushing the scope on the floor!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back