• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flashlight recommendations (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
I didn't want to hijack the other flashlight thread so I'll start here.

Looking for recommendations for a small/pocket size torch with good lumens and long lasting battery life.

A torch that would be used along roads beside cliffs with no lighting to walking through woods.

Regards Gerard.

Tesco 2AA torch.

You may laugh, but the lads snap these up every time they come available.

Small, bright, economical to run.

Hi Squidge,

I read some on that other flashlight thread and the Surefire light seems decent if you need that bright of light. An idea might be to get one like that and have the little Streamlight Stylus Pro[6 + hours of operating time] as a back up in your shirt pocket. Or use the little one and if you need more light pull out the bigger one. I use the Streamlight every day at work. I have held it in my teeth when I need 2 hands etc. I have dropped it probably 50 times on concrete and it still works.

The original LED LENSER T7 is available on Amazon for about £35 - its just being replaced by a Mk 2 model (costs more and has a reduced claimed max battery life but more light output).

It has a claimed up to 55hrs life on low power setting (unregulated power so will dim at some point until the batteries finally go flat - never timed its life so can't verify) - useful most of the time around here (unlit roads, tracks and hill paths) or if you get stuck somewhere overnight, and a useful high power setting (but with a reduced life) for those hazardous cliff paths. Always carry spare batts anyway? (4xAAA)

I have been using one for nearly 4 years and it has survived storm and tempest with no hassles, unlike another fairly well known make that overheated and split its batteries (they met the manufacturers specs!).

It has two practical levels of light output - the third 'boost' power level needs constant pressure on the switch - (definitely for emergencies only)

Only grouse is that it is matt black so if you drop it on a hillside at night getting it out of your pack .....

The Amazon reviews give you the pros and cons quite nicely.

Last edited:
Another vote for the LED Lenser range.
I have two and they are excellent - the light temperature is similar to daylight which can be handy for night photography e.g. moths.

Tony

After much head wrecking looking through various torch manufacturers I have narrowed down my choice to either the Led Lenser P7.2 or the Fenix PD35.
Anybody have experience of either of these two torches.

Regards Gerard.

Just bought a Led Lenser P5.2, which I tested last night in the wood against my existing Led Lenser P7. With the single AA alkaline in the P5.2, it was brighter and with an equivalent range to the P7, although I always use the P7 with rechargeables, so it would probably have equalled it for brightness with alkalines. There is virtually no difference in the circumference of the floodlight or spotlight. Difference is, of course, that the P5.2 is a lot smaller and uses a single AA, as opposed to 4 AAAs. So I'd take the P5.2 over the P7 now as it's easier to carry. Of course, there is a P7.2, which I haven't used... P5.2 is about £27.

The other approach, if your chief aims are avoiding injury and death and less for admiring the scenery, is a head torch.

I use a LED Lenser H7 which has variable power, variable beam and variable tilt. The adjustments are there to make it useable and tend to be left alone once you have a working set up. Invaluable on rough ground or unknown tracks, as it leaves your hands free and is less likely to roll away if you do lose your footing.

These tend to come in two forms, rechargeable and with replaceable cells. Most folks I know like to have proper batteries that you have in your pack anyway. They are possibly more the province of folks who place staying alive over appearances, the kind that buy good boots and obviously do a certain amount of night walking, but is a permanent fiixture in my bigger pack as it is light weight and compact in its carrying case.

Probably overkill if you stick to level paths and to be fair I tend to stick to a conventional torch for straightforward short trips. There is no concensus on the web of which is the best head torch either!

N.B. Just seen they have brought out an H7.2 not everyone thinks that it is an improvement. However one Amazon reviewer mentions a barn owl shared the light to help hunting!

Last edited:
I agree with Iveljay that headlights are the way forward. I have a Princeton Tec Apex and love it, very reasonably priced, high quality and bright.

Headlamps also keep your hands free for bins whilst focusing the beam in the direction you are looking, works surprisingly well with 42mm bins!

Rich

If you really want a flashlight that's built like a tank you should take a look at HDS flashlights. Superb electronics, extremely well constructed, lifetime guarantee and customizable (www.hdssystems.com).
Foursevens is also a premium brand with many different choices for a reasonable price. I personally know the CEO and he really stands behind his products!
Another nice torch is the Armytek Predator. Very sturdy and quite customizable.

Regards,
Martin

After much deliberation I decided on the led lenser p7.2. Now I don't doubt that the fenix is the better of the two but i felt that the led lenser would be sufficient for my needs plus with the price difference I was also able to purchase the series 2 multimedia guide to north Atlantic seabirds.

Many thanks for all the suggestions,

Regards Gerard.

Torch arrived this morning. A question regarding the highest setting. Do I need to keep the button pressed in for the highest setting to remain?

When I release the button the light goes down to the mid setting. When I click it again it goes to the lowest setting.

So it has two settings that can be permanently on without having to keep the button physically pressed in, is this correct?

Regards Gerard.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back