• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

question about backpack for Swaro **X spotting scopes (1 Viewer)

safaridreaming

question about backpack for Swaro *TX spotting scopes

Hey all

just wondering if anyone's used or using a camera backpack (with built in padding and cushioning) to carry their optics, namely their spotting scope/binos etc?

I have the BTX 95 unit + binos and have typically aways carried my optics in a normal backpack in their own padded pouches, but struggling to find something suitable for the BTX unit.

Connected, the BTX is quite long so won't fit in most backpacks (not that i have), broken into two, i couldn't see anything out there for either unit (objective or Bino viewer) until i started looking at camera / lens cases.

Now i'm considering transporting these without any pouches just stored in a camera backpack which already has a rigid cell, padded, and soft velour on the inside for DSLR's / lens etc....

just wondering if anyone's got any feedback on experiences they may have had

thanks
Jeelan

Hi,

when I first saw the padded case posted by lestat I first thought that's it until I noticed that it's not a stay on case...
Plus of course finding a backpack which fits this is going to be a challenge.

That being said, my classic skua case for the TSN-3 looks a lot like that padded case when closed and I just chug it into my regular carry on backpack along with bins and cameras... which regularly puts me above the weight limit for carry on, but so far nobody has actually weighted it... you just gotta look like it's nice and light ;-)

The Swaro stay on cases for BTX and objective modules offer a lot less protection since they have to leave room for the focus drive when in use and don't have flaps to go over these when disassembled. Does Swaro deliver caps to close the bayonet mounts of the disassembled parts?

Joachim

Last edited:
Some people here are very enthousiastic about the bag from https://www.marsupialgear.com/collections/spotting-scope-btx-cases They have a specific case for the btx, but it's not really a "bag"
For what it's worth, I transport my 85 atx deconstructed in the kite optics viato bag and the bag also goes with me in the field to carry it during a daytrip.

I have one of those already but the scope is quite big so it doesn't always fit into a backpack for transportation.

i have also considered putting a shoulder strap on the Marsupial gear BTX case and just carrying the scope like that - we'll see how that goes.=

I have ordered a Tenba Axis backpack which is a Camera backpack so we'll see how that goes..

Well the good thing about the swaro ATX / BTX is that you can deconstruct it, doing so allows you to transport it in almost any camera / lens designed backpack. The downside is that you will need to reconstruct it before use. So if you're doing a safari drive birding trip it's not really a nice option.

The kite optics viato backpack can hold a nikon 50ED (angled) and a pair of swarovski 8,5x42 EL in one half of the pack, so there's plenty of room.

I think the marsupial case with strap may work as well.

For me it's simple: I think about when I travel will I use the scope: if no it goes deconstructed, if yes the whole thing travels with soc mounted to the tripod ready for use.

I ended up purchasing a Lowepro flipside trek 450 pack

The disassembled BTX scope fits perfectly in the padded camera section of the pack still leaving some room for binoculars and small camera.

Externally the pack can also carry my Sirui tripod.

So far its proven comfortable to use.

Ill post a pic shortly.

Thanks
Jeelan

Here’s the LowePro with the BTX 95mm setup

Attachments

• C924D1D2-DD04-4AED-9616-52493C2A85D4.jpg
    C924D1D2-DD04-4AED-9616-52493C2A85D4.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 65265534-E006-4AFF-8CE3-DFEBC947C151.jpg
    65265534-E006-4AFF-8CE3-DFEBC947C151.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 136
Good choice, be aware that Lowepro is known as a (maybe -the-) manufacturer of camera backpacks. So it draws a certain amount of attention from people looking for a five-finger discount.

But as far as gear protection it's solid gear. I use a Lowepro nature trekker for when I bring camera gear as well. The ability to make your own pockets/sections to store equipment makes that you can fit in scope, camera and lenses should you opt for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back