• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

borneo sound recordings (1 Viewer)

James Lowther

Hello,
am hoping to travel to sabah (hopefully danum valley, kinabatangan, in september (hope that's an ok time...)
have been revising heavily with the field guide but would like to learn some vocalisations too.
I don't know if there are any commercial CDs available but i daresay i can manage to cobble together a selection from xeno-canto or the other online collections.
My question is: does anyone have any particular recommendations of which species i need to concentrate on?
cheers,
James

p.s. i've no real SE Asian experience to speak of if that makes a difference...

Hio James,

Whitehead's Trogon, Broadbill and Spiderhunter with Bornean Ground Cuckoo, Fruithunter, Mt. Serpent Eagle and Blue-headed, Black & Crimson, Bornean Banded Pitta and Everett's Thrush :)

James,

I'd try to learn as much as possible - not just target birds, because so often you can end up hearing something but not have a clue what it was because you have only focused on the recordings of a few target spp.

It is also worth having a recording of Collared Owlet to play as a way of pulling birds in, though it should only be used sparingly.

Get stuff from the Bird of Tropical Asia CD (Jelle Scharringa) and Xeno Canto as a starting point.

Best

Dave

Birds here doesn't respond to the call of Collared Owlet. Tried it several times at different locations

Jason,

I think we used it with some success on Mnt Kinabalu this spring - but certainly seemed more successful at Fraser's Hill in W. Malaysia

Best

Dave

Hi Dave,

Have to tried Collared Owlet to attract birds in Borneo?

I'm intrigued as to whether it would work with the owlet being so scarce there.

Rob

James,

I'd try to learn as much as possible - not just target birds, because so often you can end up hearing something but not have a clue what it was because you have only focused on the recordings of a few target spp.

It is also worth having a recording of Collared Owlet to play as a way of pulling birds in, though it should only be used sparingly.

Get stuff from the Bird of Tropical Asia CD (Jelle Scharringa) and Xeno Canto as a starting point.

Best

Dave

hi guys,
have checked out the scharringa CD-ROM and it looks pretty good although a bit pricy!!
one question though - it obviously covers a very large geographical area. To what extent are recordings for one species from e.g. thailand going to be helpful in Borneo? i know in the neotropics vocalisations sometimes vary a lot between different subspp.
cheers,
James

Hi Dave,

Have to tried Collared Owlet to attract birds in Borneo?

I'm intrigued as to whether it would work with the owlet being so scarce there.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I'll need to check my notebook at home, but if memory serves me correctly we had some success (but certainly not as effective as in W. Malaysia)...and I think that we actually ended up soliciting a response from a collared owlet at least one during our Kinabalu trip this spring (again, I will need to check my notes at home to be sure).

Best

Dave

EDIT: OK, have checked notebook, and found no mention of collared owlet whilst in Sabah this year - think I must have got mixed up with a trip to Kaeng Krachan NP I did shortly afterwards with the same birding mate...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back