• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Keyhaven & Pennington Marshes (1 Viewer)

Visited yesterday, hoping to see the Bearded Reedlings (Butts Lagoon). Sat on a bench overlooking the lagoon, playing a waiting game. However, we still failed to see them :( We did see plenty of Reed Buntings, saw a Cuckoo and heard lots of Reed Warblers.

Lots a Whitethroat about, in the brambly field to the north of Butt Lagoon, with Mediterranean Gulls flying overhead. There was also a couple of Avocet in the Fishtail Lagoon and a Marsh Harrier over the reedbeds of Avon Water. We also had our first Wheatear of the year.

Last edited:
Still no sightings (by us) of the Bearded Reedlings but we did see 7 Eider Duck, 5 Whimbrel and 3 Spoonbill (Fishtail Lagoon).

Since it was an old stamping ground of mine in the 1960s (when I was at school) I'll read reports about the area with great interest. For anyone wanting to know more about the area's birds and its ornithological history, the must-buy book is Eddie Wiseman's recently published "One Man's Marshes" which I cannot recommend too highly (see https://www.nhbs.com/one-mans-marshes-book).

I used to visit Pennington and Stanpit a bit when I lived at Bournemouth so I look forward to reading the reports.

The event of the year here is the arrival of two grey phalaropes and a Temnick's stint. Both were sighted at the end of last week after first seen around a month ago. I've seen the phalarope, but the stint has been elusive. The phalarope the opposite. When I first saw it, it chose the creek adjacent to Fishtail lagoon and appeared totally unfazed regarding people. In fact, someone who came with a long prime lens was too close to get a shot

Perhaps not strictly wild birds, a single Black swan appeared on Sturt pond in 2016, and four in 2017. A raptor which appears to be a cross between a common buzzard and a Harris Hawk has been sighted in the area.

Other "firsts" for me this year have been Avocet, Spoonbill Great white Egret and common whitethroat

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back