• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2008 List Going? (1 Viewer)

Well back in UK after a week in Mallorca, and the curse of the Friday night departure strikes again as the Trumpeter Finch disappears from East Sussex!!!

Anyway managed to add a couple more to the year list

269. Red Backed Shrike
270. Nightjar

Since I've posted last I've been able to get:
175. Yellow-billed Cuckoo
176. Warbling Vireo
177. Blackpoll Warbler
178. Hooded Warbler
179. Alder Flycatcher

Things are slowing down now. Hopefully there will be a good migration season this fall and I will be able to get the ones I missed.

Spurn 02.06.08

218 Red-backed Shrike
219 Marsh Warbler
220 Icterine Warbler

Spurn 03.06.08

221 Curlew Sandpiper
222 Hawfinch
223 Common Rosefinch

Steve

Now that migration is over, it's no longer possible just to go birding somewhere and pick up a few year ticks. Now I have to go to specific places to look for specific birds. So today was a day of driving. I went to southwest Indiana where the only breeding Least Terns in the state can be found, and then to south-central Indiana where the only breeding Mississippi Kites can be found. In high heat and humidity, I managed to add five birds to my Year List, which is now up to 401.

397. Least Tern
398. Laughing Gull
399. Olive-sided Flycatcher
400. Mississippi Kite
401. Yellow-billed Cuckoo

Dave

So far so good - 208

Birding the Twin Cities area of Minnesota and around Spirit Lake in Iowa.

I want to try Western MN and up north around Lake Superior but I don't have the money for gas.

Still, I am happy with 208

Well today equalled my single year UK listing record of 231, so i guess i am gonna beat it this year, starting to collect those awkward species now that the migration lull has hit us. Off to Norfolk next weekend for the usual suspects!!

271. Goshawk
272. Honey Buzzard

Hi Larry,

Thanks for asking, it is actually now 233 for the UK (and a single year record for me, which i set out determinedly to beat at the beginning of the year) having added Little Ringed Plover and Lesser Whitethroat.

Penny is to blame for this (honestly Penny it was not me who said that - lol), the 271 is birds seen this year and includes birds seen in Mallorca last month. Therefore there is no addition to this thread today since i saw both of those birds whilst over there.

That way i will get a large year list because i will be in Kenya for two weeks in November (plus two weeks in Southern France in July/August):t::-O

Anyway i hope that makes sense, my signature only counts UK birds since that is my main target!

This morning I chased a Black-bellied Whistling Duck, which is a local mega rarity. I found my target, which was number 208 on my ABA Area and Indiana year lists. It wasn't a true year tick, as I had seen it in Honduras in March. However, it was an Indiana state lifer (number 287).

Oddly enough, along with Fork-tailed Flycatcher, the whistling duck is the second Central American bird I have seen in Indiana in two weeks. The violent storms we've been having over the last three weeks or so must be blowing some southern birds our way.

Dave

Had a good weekend in the Adirondacks for a change. Was greeted with a Black-Throated Green Warbler then a flash of red and black as a Scarlet Tanager flew by. Walked the dogs, and after returning, spotted what appeared to be a pair of Eastern Phoebes, only they dove to the ground, indicating to me that they were something else... got my bins out and found out the two birds were Cedar Waxwings! Haven't seen a Waxwing since July 2004! They are beautiful birds and a nice addition to my year list!

Thais brings me up to 46 for the year... i know, a measly tally, but when you can't get out much, that's the best you can do...

In other news, with the addition of the Red-Headed Woodpecker last month, and a group of Lapland Longspurs last fall, I have reached 100 birds for the entire state of New York. Quite a milestone, but i don't think i'll be breaking 150 anytime soon.

Slowing down now....

224 Crossbill Charnwood Forest June 16th

Makes 1295 for my 2008 World yearlist though.

Steve

A day in Norfolk via Rutland water rewarded me with 4 year ticks, including a British 1st for me.

238. Osprey
239. Lesser Grey Shrike (Brit 1st)
240. Red-backed Shrike
241. Honey Buzzard

John

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back