• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How's your 2004 year list going? (1 Viewer)

SimonC

Still listing - I'll capsize one day
So, we're nearly a week in now, how's everybody doing?
My year list has all the signs of finally breaking my PB (1995 - 133 species - pitiful I know ;) ) But I think that most years!
I'm reaping the benefits of actually having transport this year! Currently on 78, which is probably way behind some, but last year I got my 50th as late as 28th January, so things are looking good!

So, what about the rest of you? anybody think they're onto a winner?

It's difficult to tell, Simon as this is the first year that I have started "recording" in January.

Last year my list reached 140, and currently I'm on 49.

No lifers yet, but I've managed to pick up a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, which I avoided all last year!

Just a paltry 54 so far, but only been out once 'cos of other committments. Got Bittern, Water Rail, Chiffchaff and Cetti's Warbler though.

Things can only improve.

Andy

75 so far. But got some good ones - Great Northern Diver, Bewick and Whooper swans and white stork. And all within Kent.

No lifers yet, but I've managed to pick up a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, which I avoided all last year!
I've managed to "avoid" them since 1998!

Got Bittern, Water Rail, Chiffchaff and Cetti's Warbler though.
Only got one of those so far (Water Rail) & Cetti's would be a lifer for me!

51 currently, best is Bittern and Goldeneye. Doubt if I will get much more before the Spring migrants arrive. My area of Berkshire doesn't get many rarities, and I don't twitch. Well only those twitches caused by drink!

Saw my 90th today with a Pied wagtail. By far the worst start number wise but certainly good on quality, which includes. Baltimore Oriole (Oxford) American Robin & Waxwing (Grimsby), Shorelark, Twite, Snow Bunting, Dunlin, Knot, Sanderling, Redshank, Golden Plover and Tree Sparrow (Donna Nook) Grey Plover, Ringed Plover (Saltfleet Haven), Smew, Goosander and Goldeneye in a few places, Blackcap, Whooper and Bewick Swans in Staffordshire and Bittern, Willow Tit & Water Rail in Warwickshire plus Chiffchaff in a couple of places.

I'm hoping to do Norfolk either this weekend or the following weekend so hopefully my numbers will increase by quite a few.

Up to 78 managed to get some difficult species out of the way this year. I am also trying to get my Norfolk list over 200 species.

CJ

I like the way Birdman casually mentions that he's picked up Lesser Spotted Woodpecker already and this being only 6 days into the new year. :C I'd love one,never had one in my life. :'D

84 as of yesterday. Most of them local.
Have seen 5 Owl species.
Best birds so far - Bewicks Swan, Smew, Bean Goose, Water Rail, Kingfisher.
Have tried for Jack Snipe at 3 sites, but none yet..
Coastal visit planned for weekend, so hope to get up to about 120.
Stevie

stuck on 60, but they were all new years day and in Bucks (best of Cettis warbler and 3 scaup). Juts wish I ahd the time to do more work commitments and the imminant (or late as he/she was due Monday) arrival of a new Beolens will keep me from going out much this month.

Been laid low with a bug since Christmas so been restricted to the birds in the garden and what's been flying over the house! Hence my List so far being really low...less than 20!!! Do I get a prize? Or a dunce's cap LOL. But feeling ok now so when I finish work tomorrow at 2pm I'm going to nip out for a couple of hours to see what I can find!
My first bird of the year...and a first for my garden...was a female Chaffinch 'pinking' away in the tree at the bottom of the garden on January 1st as I checked the feeders and birdbath. Was really pleased with her!
My Life List is currently on 166 and for 2004 I'm going to try REALLY hard to reach 200......I'll bet those will be the hardest 34 birds I'll ever try for!!! But, fingers crossed, come December 31st I will have done it!!!

GILL XXXX

Gill Osborne said:
.........My Life List is currently on 166 and for 2004 I'm going to try REALLY hard to reach 200......I'll bet those will be the hardest 34 birds I'll ever try for!!! But, fingers crossed, come December 31st I will have done it!!!

GILL XXXX
Sounds like we are sharing a new year's resolution! I've got 11 less to get to reach 200 but it's still going to be just as hard! Fingers crossed for both of us hey?!

EVERYTHING crossed Simon!!! Getting some positive vibes though.....we WILL do it!!! Just remember to let us know when you do it...and i'll do the same!
Tomorrow night I'm going to go through the County List and make a note of what is missing from MY list and work out what and where I need to go to, hopefully, get them!!!

GILL XXX

Work out the commoner birds you need for your 200 and post them someone is bound to know the best sites in your local area:mad:)...unless you really want to find them yourself.

I am rather off to a slow start here in Missouri, USA, as we were visiting our youngest son who lives up near Chicago, Illinois, as the new year began.

I only have 48 species so far, some of the "better" birds include: Trumpeter and Tundra Swans, Rough-legged Hawk, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper's Hawk, Merlin, Eurasian Collared Dove, Winter Wren, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and Northern Mockingbird.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back