• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2011 (1 Viewer)

Mike,

you saw one in Spain

Mark

...and in Italy but I want a UK one!

Looking forward to all these mammal trip reports (India, Netherlands, Australia...). Hopefully will have my own to add when I return from South Africa in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that I was in the southern north sea in mid April and over two days had over 130 porpoises and a pod of White-beaked Dolphin doing vertical breaches. The dolphins were about 1km away but brilliant. Just a shame they didn't come in to bow ride. The porpoise were almost all adults and looked like they may be courting/mating

Golden Rabbit

Hi John

Here is a pic of the golden bunny that we saw at Goring today.

Clare & Jules

Attachments

• small-golden-bunny.jpg
    small-golden-bunny.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 103
on the topic of cute bunnies, ridiculously small kittens hopping around all over Jersey zoo yesterday and 2 or 3 red squirrels as well.

Hit the Badgers today two weeks after a bit of gardening at their sett: unfortunately the prolonged dry spell means they are working hard to feed and not playing round the sett. I saw two adults but not for long or well.

However, five Tawny Owls (adult plus two fledged young, then another adult and finally one crossing in front of the car on the way home) were outstanding.

John

Several people have mentioned black Water Voles to me recently and I confess I would like to see and photograph them. Anybody got a good site for them?

John

Several people have mentioned black Water Voles to me recently and I confess I would like to see and photograph them. Anybody got a good site for them?

John

Weren't these mentioned on some TV programme fairly recently? If my memory served me correctly they were present on some large estate/ reserve in Scotland. Not much help I know, but I got the impression they were a northern speciality.

Attached some pics from the past week

Attachments

• hazel dormouse, Maulden Wood.jpg
    hazel dormouse, Maulden Wood.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 59
  • Barbastelle, Wimpole.JPG
    Barbastelle, Wimpole.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Soprano pipistrelle, Wimpole.JPG
    Soprano pipistrelle, Wimpole.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 62
That dormouse looks grouchy.

I had a large hedgehog with green paint on its back by the house last week. I had what turned out to be a gravid female with the same paint last july near here (rehabbers use the paint to id individuals) so either she's stuck around and the paint is pretty durable or someone is releasing rehabbed 'hogs pretty close to my house.

Weren't these mentioned on some TV programme fairly recently? If my memory served me correctly they were present on some large estate/ reserve in Scotland. Not much help I know, but I got the impression they were a northern speciality.

It was on Chris Packham's recent series, and I think the Voles were on Balmoral estate, but I could be wrong.

James

Spent a wonderful three weeks on Mull watching Otters. Sightings daily new many new shots of different activity. In the Loch Na Keal and Scridain areas I think we saw a total of 18 different Otters, though it is never easy to be conclusive. Also saw them at Salen, Grasspoint, Craignure, Duart, Uisken and Ulva. If you want to see Otters visit Mull in a storm!

First decent shots of sprainting as below (think this is a young male pup, am happy to be corrected - should he have a willy?3:)).

Attachments

• otter spraint bf.jpg
    otter spraint bf.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 99
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back