• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New porros (1 Viewer)

Ed or non Ed

marcus said:
Hello parrot.fan
I have those new Swift Audubons. Optically, I think they are really, really great, but like IanF said, 'clumpy'. Or they are just pretty big and heavy binoculars.
If your neck isn't going to mind, go get em'!
marcus

Hi Marcus,

Are you still pleased with Swift Audobons? Have you got the non Ed's? Or the basic new model?

Colin M said:
Hi Marcus,

Are you still pleased with Swift Audobons? Have you got the non Ed's? Or the basic new model?
I am very pleased with those Audubons, (u, not o). The only thing is that the diopter does not stay where you want it set. Like old binoculars, it's always moving and has to be reset. I bought mine about 5 years ago. Maybe Swift fixed that problem now.
It is a standard one. Not Ed's, and I don't know why I would need one, even though I have never looked through an Ed.
If you won't mind carrying a large porro binocular, then there is nothing wrong with these. Like they have been created for, they are perfect for birding. Of the six binoculars that I have, these are the clearest and brightest ones.

Regarding diopter moving ,if you stretch a small elstic band over it to fill in space at body ,keeps it in place once adjustment has been made.I have to do this on my Optolyth alpins.it works for me....

Has anyone any experience with the new Audubon 8 x 44 ED's? Or compared them with the non ED's. BVD review sstates that ordinary ones beat Nikon SE 8 x 32 at centre field. So ED's ought push them very close across the observable field because even if Audubons are not sharp to the edge they have a wider field anyway?

Thank you

marcus said:
I am very pleased with those Audubons, (u, not o). The only thing is that the diopter does not stay where you want it set. Like old binoculars, it's always moving and has to be reset. I bought mine about 5 years ago. Maybe Swift fixed that problem now.
It is a standard one. Not Ed's, and I don't know why I would need one, even though I have never looked through an Ed.
If you won't mind carrying a large porro binocular, then there is nothing wrong with these. Like they have been created for, they are perfect for birding. Of the six binoculars that I have, these are the clearest and brightest ones.

Thanks for replying. Have you seen the newer models yet ?

Colin

Colin M said:
Thanks for replying. Have you seen the newer models yet ?

Colin
Hello Colin
No, I have never seen those newer models. Do you mean the Ed's or the Swift Audubon roofs? I've never seen either one.
Marcus

I have used the Swift Audubon ED's. The center image is TERRIFIC, and has just about the best, most accurate color rendition of an binos I've ever looked through. The only bad news is that the edge of the field is not sharp, particularly as compared with say, the Nikon SE binos, so you have to be happy concentrating on the center of the image. For the money, however, the Audubons are terrific optically.

Centre Field

Thanks for posting a very helpful reply. My theoretical contention remains that because the Swift Audubons 8 x 44 ED have a wider field of view than the much acclaimed Nikon 8 x 32 so the clear image is just as wide and maybe even a shade brighter under most conditions?!?

The centre field is surely the most important for birdwatching.

Thanks for a great reply. Do you wear any type of harness? Or di you find the weight OK?

Middle aged hands

The centre field is surely the most important for birdwatching.

Thanks for a great reply. Do you wear any type of harness? Or di you find the weight OK?[/QUOTE]e

I tried the 8.5x44 EDS Swift Audubon inside a shop and found them slightly unstable, which could easily mean eye fatigue. I do not know if that extra half power more than eight increased the perception of my hand shaking or if the glass is ergonomically lacking. I often use an eight power glasses, without problems, like my old Binuxit or the Zeiss Victory.

Good viewing,
Arthur

hello,i am a new member ,just checking ,but i do have a pair of #820 swift Audubon ,and i really like them.the design has been improved and they look and feel quite modern;they are as well light enough for a 44mm size objectives,and the 8.5 X power gives you a great place to stand beetwen 8 and 10.Is basically like having 10 x power with a massive FOV (8.5 degree).Those Glasses are very acute in the center of the image and it is true that they get a minimum blurr towards the edge ,depending a bit in how perpendicular the exit pupil is held in relation to your own axis .Anyway, i love the grip and handling,not to mention the easy of view ,AH!! before i forget my 1 year old daughter accidentally crush the right eyepiece of my pair and SWIFT fixed and shipped them back free of charges.

Last edited:
Dear Mayoayo,

Welcome to the Forum. You are good to share your experiences.

Happy birdwatching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

One store here carries only Swifts. I looked at them and they were all pretty good. They had some roofprisms, and they were pretty good too, 8x or 8.5. And they were waterproof. The porros were all quite good, bright.

I have the Sporters, also quite good. I have not compared these side by side. The comfort of the eyecups on the Swifts was slightly better for me.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back