• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So Hows your 2006 Yearlist Going then ? (2 Viewers)

I got 60 species in Ontario today - not bad for the winter. My first bird was American Crow. Highlights included Merlin, Rough-legged Hawk, Gadwall and Red-shouldered Hawk. Better than last year...

I only was able to spend about 45 minutes birding today, but I picked up 23 species including an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull at the south end of Cayuga Lake here in Ithaca.

A decent start for my Local Patch......

House Finch
American Goldfinch
Chipping Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Northern Mockingbird
Turkey Vulture
American Crow
Rock Dove
Great Egret
Ring-billed Gull
American Coot
Lesser Scaup
Forster's Tern
Pied-billed Grebe
Carolina Chickadee
Dark-eyed Junco
Red-winged Blackbird
Northern Cardinal
Northern Shoveler
Bufflehead
Yellow-rumped Warbler

21 species

finished 1/1 with 29
15 European Robin
16 Long-tailed Tit
17 Mallard
18 Common Moorhen
19 Gray Heron
20 Great Crested Grebe
21 Carrion Crow
22 Great Cormorant
23 Northern Lapwing
24 Common Shelduck
25 Redwing
26 Eurasian Coot
27 Common Kingfisher
28 Mew Gull
29 Mute Swan

have set a goal : staying ahaed of the day-counter of the year
so : by the end : 365 sp to be seen/heard/touched/...

OK people, I've agreed to do monthly summaries for this year's thread.
Same deal as last year, if you want to be included in the summary, PM me with your monthly totals as near the end of the month as poss please.
Don't forget to mention whether your numbers are county/area/whatever, and if it's an issue don't forget the list you are using (i.e BOU, UK400 or equivalent for your area)

No new spp for me yet today, but i'm off for a walk after lunch, so should mop up a couple I missed yesterday

Have not gotten out for my annual first walk yet. But list thru window glass is 10, including bald eagle seen from car.

Got to the walk finally, so 19 now. With a bit of luck, got Yellow Rumped Warbler and Eastern Bluebird.

Last edited:
Decided against doing a main yearlist this year, instead I'm just doing a Patch Year List!! Had a couple of hours there this morning and netted 47 species, incl. 2 Water Rails!!
In 2004 I hit 132 species for my patch that year, that'll be my target to beat this year.

1st one for the year (from top of Malvern Hills Worcs.)
Snow Bunting (three present)

Attachments

• SnowBunting 1TOprint.jpg
    SnowBunting 1TOprint.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 148
Yesterday's New Year's Day list was pretty poor and today's was not much better. Only 2 year ticks in the garden this morning and during the first (one hour) walk around the local 'lake' and adjacent river this afternoon only 2 other year ticks turned up, due to exceptionally high water levels and very few birds being around. Today's additions are:

Great Spotted Woodpecker (garden)
Eurasian Jay (garden)
Common Moorhen (local patch)
Carrion Crow (local patch)

A meagre total of 20 so far. Here's hoping for better weather and more birds tomorrow!

Started mine with a couple of local visits. Tried for Bittern but dipped.

Black -Backed Gull
Black headed Gull
Blackbird
Blue Tit
Bullfinch
Canada Goose
Chaffinch
Coal Tit
Collard Dove
Coot
Cormorant
Crow
Dunnock
Gold crest
Golden Plover
Goosander
Great Tit
Greenfinch
Grey Heron
House Sparrow
Jackdaw
Kestrel
Lapwing
Magpie
Mallard
Marsh Harrier
Moorhen
Mute Swan
Northern Shoveler
Pheasant
Pochard
Redshank (common)
Reed Bunting
Robin
Rook
Starling
Teal (common)
Tree Sparrow
Tufted Duck
Twite
Water Rail
Wigeon
Wood Pigeon
Wren

44 a good start, :D

Hotspur said:
Only 16 today because i got engaged.

:eek!: :eek!: :eek!:

Congratulations James!
I trust that your inclusion of this snippet of info in the 'How's your father thread' is nothing more than...well...i dunno! ;)

:t:

dave...

First of all a big thank you to Simon for volunteering to keep the monthly list record.

Stayed local again today and added a further 13 on yesterdays total. Star birds today were
Bittern (I have actually got photos - at last - of this bird)
Kingfisher (also got some photos of this bird)
Merlin
plus a very surprising find in the middle of a ploughed field - a Common Sandpiper.

Total now up to 70. That puts me 32 short of last years first two days total.

Attachments

• Bittern 4308.jpg
    Bittern 4308.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 119
Alas no birding yesterday (was visiting the in-laws), but started properly today with a quick trip to Titchwell (was only there for three hours) year list now at 86...

Only one new bird this afternoon, A small flock of Long-tailed Tits in my garden.
Seems really quiet in this neck of the woods to be honest.

So List now on 54 (all in Herts so far)

After a day out at Leighton Moss and Pine Lake the year total now stands at 64.Highlights today R.C.Pochard and Long-tailed Duck,both at Pine Lake.

Attachments

• rcp.JPG
    rcp.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back