• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wimberley and Manfrotto 055 combo (1 Viewer)

Dave Williams

I recently bought a Manfrotto 055 PROB tripod and the 222 Joystick ball head. A superb combination for my D200 and 80-400mm lens.
Even more recently I bought a 300f2.8 lens which weighs considerably more and is not suitable for use with the 222. Consequently I wish I had thought ahead because the tripod head needs replacing already and it's barely been used ! One day I will buy a 500mm lens and so I have decided I should get a tripod head to suit as it's expensive enough without wasting funds. I am thinking Wimberley as that will cover everything. I don't want to replace the tripod as well just yet so the question is , Can I successfully combine the 055 and Wimberley as a suitable walk about combination ? The body and lens weight about 4 kg, the Wimberley about 1.5kg and the O55 is rated at 7kg max. It's within the limits, but has any one experienced similar in practice ? Is the Manfrotto up for the job ?
Thanks in anticipation.

Last edited:
Hello Rioja,
I've got a couple of friends using a 300mm f/2.8 lens on 055 legs with a 501 hdv head ... they seem very satisfied
Cheers,
Max

It's certainly worth looking at Max, at a price of £140 for the 501 vs £550 for the Wimberley plus plate it sounds very tempting !
Is it a good and safe walk around combination though ?

It's certainly worth looking at Max, at a price of £140 for the 501 vs £550 for the Wimberley plus plate it sounds very tempting !
Is it a good and safe walk around combination though ?

Well, much depends on your shooting habits .. what I can say is that I reckon the 055 legs to be very sturdy, I usually add my body mass to the rig when shooting in order to avoid as many microvibrations as possible: it works well, and the legs support it very well ... I consider them a very good quality vs cost compromise ... sure, you can find much better options out there (lighter, sturdier etc), but at a price ;)
I use these legs with a 128Rc head (a video head working similarly to the 501 but much lighter and less sturdy) because my kit is not that heavy (a 400mm f/5.6 prime + TC), but I'm thinking of buying myself the 501 head ... that's because I don't like ball heads and I cannot afford a Wimberley-type head (nor it is very useful/necessary with my lenses)
One last word: I mainly carry my kit over my shoulder with no fear of it falling off (I just check that the safe pin is locked) ... it could be quite different with your heavier kit, so better ask someone else on this specific question
Cheers,
Max

I sent e mails 2 days ago to both Manfrotto ( asking for their recommendation for a suitable head for my needs) and Wimberley ( asking if the 055 and their head was a suitable walkabout combination)
I received a reply from Wimberley within hours confirming suitability provided I make sure I tighten everything I am supposed to. I am still waiting for a reply from Manfrotto.
Reading into Manfrotto's on line description it suggests that the 501 has a maximum load of 2.5kg. My combination exceeds that. There have been threads on different forums suggesting the handle on the head is too long as well.
Anyway, I was so impressed with the Wimberley customer service I decided the head must be good.
Ouch, I ordered one !

Yep, ordered the plate at the same time. I can't believe how much I have spent on a lump of metal but there you go !
Still waiting for a reply from Manfrotto. The Wimberley was ordered Friday midday and by Saturday midday it had arrived at East Midlands Airport so I should get it tomorrow. I'm impressed with the service.
I wonder what the tax will be ?

One Wimberley head just arrived.
Cost including plate and delivery $728.94 = approx £370.
Import VAT £66, Duty £13.50, brokerage £11. Total ==£91
£461 approx in total.
Saving about £100 by ordering direct compared to buying in this country. Delivery time theoretically less than 1 working day !

I am still waiting to hear from Manfrotto.

Tail piece !
On trying my new head on to the tripod I discovered that the tightening screw on one leg doesn't work. It's the first time I have needed to adjust the tension due to increased weight.
I ordered the legs from Morris Photography on 08/01/08. Cursing that I hadn't bought locally I rang Morris up and was amazed at the brilliant after service. A new tripod is being dispatched today and they will collect the other when it is delivered tomorrow.
Credit were due. Fantastic service.

Just read this thread and have an idea that used to work to reduce tarrifs on imports- specify Fed Ex delivery- they have their own brokers. I can't promise that this still works, but it used to.
The Wimberly is a great piece of kit. I ran into a birder here with the Nikon 600mm lens on this head (The old one, made of cast iron, not the new titanium one) and the image was very stable. Sorry I dont remember the tripod number, but it was a Gitzo (or is it Gitzco?)
Any how, he was walking very slowly and his wife kept putting the water bottle straw in his mouth!!

UPS delivered, and like FEDEX ( I have had Hong Kong deliveries from them) are government appointed revenue collectors for which they can charge a fee. It's in both government and delivery companies interests to make sure all duties are paid.
What I think is "unfair" is that duty is applied to both goods and carriage charges, then VAT is whacked on top. We are charged VAT on a service that hasn't happened in this country, in part at least.
I am only using a 300mmf2.8 lens but carrying it over my shoulder is pretty easy, especially in the knowledge it is rock solid. The extra lens plate needed for a Wimberley head was expensive (£50 over here) but makes carrying the lens by it's handle a lot easier and more comfortable on the hand too.
As for the Wimberley head. Magic !

Last edited:
Hi Rioja,

I'm planning to buy the Wimberley Head - Version II for my AF-S 400mm f/2.8 as well. I have Manfrotto 055xpro and D80. So finally does the Wimberly head fit on the Manfrotto tripod and if not which adapter will I need?
Is the weight still a problem since it supports up to 7kg?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Rioja,

I'm planning to buy the Wimberley Head - Version II for my AF-S 400mm f/2.8 as well. I have Manfrotto 055xpro and D80. So finally does the Wimberly head fit on the Manfrotto tripod and if not which adapter will I need?
Is the weight still a problem since it supports up to 7kg?

Thanks in advance!

You might not have noticed my appeal in the "wanted to buy " column but I'm considering buying a new tripod but as usual funds are at a premium !!
Going back to my original post, nearly two years ago, I have indeed since bought a 500mm f4 lens and I am now thinking the 055 Pro might not be up to the job. It manages the weight of the 500mm ( but the 400mmf2.8 weighs a bit more) but I don't think the set up is as steady as it needs to be. A poor photographer blames his tools and that is probably me but I think the longer the lens the more steady the base you need. Am I right in thinking your 400mm does not have VR as well ? If the new 2.0TC111 is as good as it is suggested then you have the right lens to use it on but every movement will show. I only wish I had seen into the future in the first place and bought a Gitzo Systematic tripod but when you start out there are so many things you need, you have to compromise somewhere, unless of course money is of no object..
As for your question, yes the Wimberley fits straight on to the O55 Pro, and it's a superb tripod head. It deserves a good set of legs to stand on too !!!
cheers
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back