• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iran, Land of Enchantment (1 Viewer)

AMAZING!

I have waited until this trip report was complete before printing the lot off and reading it after my evening meal and I thoroughly enjoyed every part of it.

You must have a strong will to leave each place you described as I would have been happy to take the lazy option of staying in each one the whole time especially the meadow up in Mount Damavand. Also anyone giving me free meals would find me hard to shift!

This is probably the best thing I have read on the internet for this whole year!

I was sad to vicariously have to come home!

Truly thanks Andrew, happy that you enjoyed you're reading - there's still a little to come, the list of birds, etc, but the diary bit is over ...till I return to Iran, next winter I hope.

I hope I wasn't that 'Drunk Redneck'. I'll be more careful...........

Nah. It's really more the high school and younger college age kids that drive recklessly around here, although certain adults can be belligerent when I'm on my bike. My apartment is on a windy, hilly road, and not uncommonly people drive way too fast and end up upside down in a ditch. Scary since I walk along that street all the time!

All that is to emphasize that anyplace can be "dangerous", but many people tend to overemphasize the dangers of unfamiliar places and to forget about the dangers that are close to home.

Yeah, I'm the bike person too. Just joking about the 'redneck' thing ------ though I perfer them to 'white trash' ....... on the grill - with chianti. Thankfully my town (Chico) is extremely bike friendly. It is amazing the amount of violent crime we Americans have become used to. Always shocking to watch the news when we return from our 2 months in Indonesia. And we always get such warnings from friends before we go. Something to be said for places with bows and arrows, some local palm wine, and no methamphetamine. And again Jos - great writing and report.

Full version of this trip report now HERE on my website, with many more pictures, plus extra pages with practical matters regarding visa, etc.

Many thanks to all for the kind words throughout this thread, hope you all enjoyed the report.

Fabulous report and pictures on your website Jos. Such a lot to read and I haven't finished yet; I started it last night and will read more today. Thanks for such an interesting report.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back