Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Swift Trilyte No 715 7x35

Old Tuesday 3rd September 2019, 18:18   #1
Turtle Dove

Swift Trilyte No 715 7x35

Hi all, I was recently fortunate enough to acquire a near mint condition set of Swift Trilyte model 715 7 x 35, with the twist up/down eye cups.
They offer a very bright crisp image with a huge dof and are nice and compact in the hand.
The only issue is that they only seem to focus down to around forty feet and the focus wheel doesn’t have to be move much to go from close focus to infinity. It will move by another 360 deg or so until the stop, but the image is out of focus.
My question is, could the focus wheel have slipped and need re setting? Anyone any experience with these?
Old Wednesday 4th September 2019, 13:51   #2
richard866945
Bino repair man

focus problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Dove View Post
Hi all, I was recently fortunate enough to acquire a near mint condition set of Swift Trilyte model 715 7 x 35, with the twist up/down eye cups.
They offer a very bright crisp image with a huge dof and are nice and compact in the hand.
The only issue is that they only seem to focus down to around forty feet and the focus wheel doesn’t have to be move much to go from close focus to infinity. It will move by another 360 deg or so until the stop, but the image is out of focus.
My question is, could the focus wheel have slipped and need re setting? Anyone any experience with these?
I have known the centre lock screw to undo and allow the focus range to change. The mechanism is inside under the focus wheel. There are two arms that join on the focus shaft and the lock screw keeps them in place. I am sure it originally focused a bit closer than 40 ft but maybe not as close as the latest models .
Old Wednesday 4th September 2019, 17:45   #3
Turtle Dove

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard866945 View Post
I have known the centre lock screw to undo and allow the focus range to change. The mechanism is inside under the focus wheel. There are two arms that join on the focus shaft and the lock screw keeps them in place. I am sure it originally focused a bit closer than 40 ft but maybe not as close as the latest models .
I guess it was something like that, as the wheel turns way past infinity currently. I am see no obvious way to access the mechanism, although there is a cover at the lower end of the focus rod. Held on with a tiny grub screw. I though about sending them for repair as they are very useable and near mint.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: