• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Packing tripod for Plane trip (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
I am taking my gear to Mallorca for the first this year. My Lens (300/2.8) plus other bits and bobs will go as hand luggage in my back back (just within the allowed dimensions) but how do I pack/take my tripod and Gimbal - I was thinking of packing the tripod in the middle of one suitcase and the Gimbal head in another case, do you think this would be safe? Or maybe I should just take a monopod.
Any advice from experience travellers welcome.

I always do exactly as you have suggested, but a tripod and head will take a fair chunk of your allowance, so a monopod might well be a better idea. I always take a couple of bean-bags too, empty them, then fill with rice etc when you get there. I did try filling them with polystyrene balls once, and it wasnt too bad a result, and a lot easier to carry round too, from a clip on my belt.

I always just put my tripod in my main case and have never had any problems with it being damaged. Hundreds of flights. Just make sure it is not against the sides.

Steve

I always do exactly as you have suggested, but a tripod and head will take a fair chunk of your allowance, so a monopod might well be a better idea. I always take a couple of bean-bags too, empty them, then fill with rice etc when you get there. I did try filling them with polystyrene balls once, and it wasnt too bad a result, and a lot easier to carry round too, from a clip on my belt.
Thank you, I guess the best bet would be to weigh the cases at the time and if the pod and head puts then over then just take the monopod. The CF tripod is 1.75Kg and the head 1.25Kg. Should be no problem with the pod in my case but it will depend on whether the wife can get by with 18.75 Kg in her case LOL.

I too pack tripod in suitcase, although I split the tripod, legs in one case and centre column in another. I've been doing this since 1998 and have never had any mishaps. I usually put the legs in a polythene bag and wrap that up with beach towels, same with the centre column.

I do the same, scope in the hand luggage and tripod well wrapped in clothes in the suitcase. Never had any problems.

Another who always sticks the pod in hold baggage. I don't think the thieves realise that they can be pretty expensive, so they don't consider them worth nicking.

I used to take a Uniloc 1600 Major and Manfrotto 128RC, I separated the head and detached the legs from the tripod, I wrapped all this lot up in my hide cover in my suitcase. I found it meant I had to leave my spare underpants at home, but then when you're full time birding for a fortnight who needs fresh underpants? I had no problems whatsoever with this method and the Uniloc is quite a heavy tripod, I had far more problems getting my 500 f4 through the check in as hand luggage, even though it was in my backpack and within weight and size allowances.

nirofo.

Hi Roy,

I have always taken my tripod in my suitcase with Easyjet (Bristol) and not I have not had any problems.

I recently took my new Feisol and was a bit nervous about it but it came out okay as usual. I usually pack my socks down the middle of the folded legs then wrap the whole thing in my shirts, tops, etc.

I tired chopping the ends of the box the Feisol came in but the box was just a wee bit too big to fit in the case. So if you have a large case then maybe pack the tripod in the box and put the box in the case. Belt and braces.

As for the head, I just detach it and pack it on the side. I have taken two heads before and still come well under the 20kg. I even bring home bottles of Port in cardboard tubes and stay under the weight.

Does that suggest I wear very little? ;)

You'll be okay.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Hi Roy,

I have always taken my tripod in my suitcase with Easyjet (Bristol) and not I have not had any problems.

I recently took my new Feisol and was a bit nervous about it but it came out okay as usual. I usually pack my socks down the middle of the folded legs then wrap the whole thing in my shirts, tops, etc.

I tired chopping the ends of the box the Feisol came in but the box was just a wee bit too big to fit in the case. So if you have a large case then maybe pack the tripod in the box and put the box in the case. Belt and braces.

As for the head, I just detach it and pack it on the side. I have taken two heads before and still come well under the 20kg. I even bring home bottles of Port in cardboard tubes and stay under the weight.

Does that suggest I wear very little? ;)

You'll be okay.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Cheers for that Andrew, I am flying Flybe from Exeter but thier allowance is the same 20Kg. Luckily my 300/2.8 with Camera attached just fits in the Lowpro mini trekker which is within the handbagged size and weight allowance (10Kg) so I will take that on board with me.
I will pack the Feisol in one suitcase and the Gimbal in another making sure that both are well protected in the middle of the cases. Just need to get some more CF cards now - if I do run short I will just have to shot jpeg for the last day or two :C.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back