• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding abroad (1 Viewer)

psilo

Not sure where to put this so will put it here. I have a deep yearning lol to go abroad during half term (next week) to find some different birds. I have never really gone abroad before and certainly not on my own. Iwas thinking of getting a last minute deal or cancellation but have no idea where birds might be good this time of year. I was thinking of staying in europe or maybe somewhere like florida maybe? or is thre anyone driving on the continent or something that would like me to tag along to share costs? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

If you can get a last minute deal then Cyprus is worth a visit at this time of year. Interesting range of wintering birds (Armenian Gull, Finsch's Wheatear, maybe Wallcreeper amongst others) plus plenty of resident birds that will be new for you if you ave never birded abroad. Anywhere in the Paphos area would be OK as a base. You would need to hire a car.

Steve

If you not been birding abroad before I would think it best to go somewhere European so that it's not a total culture shock, birdwise. If you are familiar with some of the birds you won't spend most of your holiday looking frantically into field guides, like I did in Gambia, and failing to ID one in three birds.
Spain would be a good bet, a few days round Donana and a few days in Extramadura would give a really good selection of birds, not too far apart that you spend all your time travelling and also lots of info available on where to go and what to see. Plus it's easy to get too, fairly cheap and accomodation should'nt be a problem even at such short notice.

Wherever you go hope you have a good trip.

Nick

Yes I quite fancy spain, though quite fancy tunisia too. North africa would have very different birds. I dont mind not knowing what they are I just want to photograph them. I can work out what they are later ;)

If you've never been abroad just about anywhere will be graet fun - there are few of the popular European destinations that don't have some good birding.

I'd recommend looking at the cheap options, then searching on Google or similar for that place and "bird" or "trip report" - there are a lot of sites with very useful trip reports that will give you a flavour of what you might see.

My advice is try to book somewhere near a wetland, however small - they are always productive!

i'm not exactly a seasoned traveller - well not in recent years anyhow, and not in birding terms either - but my suggestion would be the Netherlands.

there are plenty of similarities to the east anglia but some real good stuff on top as well. From the dutch birding website today - rough-legged buzzard & white-tailed eagle at oostvaardesplassen which isn't too far from amsterdam. Have a look at this .... http://www.birdforum.net/thedirectory/showcat.php?cat=15

or this ... http://www.dutchbirding.nl/

cheap ferry from harwich, trains that you can set your watch by, (and good cycling too if thats your thing)

I can vouch for the Netherlands, not in birding terms but; having visited the land some 11 times (before I took to birding) I have never been disappointed.... The folks are most hospitable, trains are frequent and run to time, easy to get about, no hills to climb with all that gear you will be carrying, Annette. However, wherever you choose to visit, enjoy, have fun and a safe journey.
PS: don't forget, send me a card ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back