• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

choice of a Swarowski 8.5*42 EL (1 Viewer)

Claude_

Hello !

I'm going to buy un new binoculars - a Swarovski 8.5 x 42 EL.
I have the possibility to buy a previous generation with a good price (sales, destoking, probably in the store display since 3 at 4 years) - or an "up to date" generation.

I only had the possibility to test the copy on sale and a Leica Ultravid 8x42 HD. The swaro was sharpner - but not 100 % on the edges.
With my wife, we prefer the Swaro.

I would like to know if there are differences or improvements between the Swaro previous generation and an "up to date" generation : considering the lens quality, the sharpness and the "rolling ball" or "globe" effect ?
The apparent differnece I saw on the copy sale is on this pic : https://imgur.com/a/4lo290P

Thank you very much for your help
and sorry for my English

No difference optically in the previous generation but there are several improvements in the latest or Field Pro model which I feel make it worth the difference. I personally like the new strap attachment system and straps. They are easier to adjust and remove. I also really like the new objective covers and the way they are designed as a part of the binocular so they won't come off. The new rain guard is nicer also and the new armour has a much nicer, richer feel to it that really feels nice in the hand. The upgraded armour alone is worth the price difference in the Field Pro model. The newer case is also improved with a simpler design and it is more compact. I feel these improvements are definitely worth it to get the newer model Field Pro. If you going to pay that much for a binocular anyway why not pay a little more and get the best.

Last edited:
Claude

Just to be perfectly clear, the EL x42 chronology is:
1999 - EL
2009 - EL Swarovsion (new optics and body)
2015 - EL FieldPro (Swarovision with new covering and accessories)

For the differences in the optics between the EL and the EL Swarovision see here: https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3855838&postcount=2

And for positive visual identification compare the 2 images:
- EL vs EL Swarovision (from: http://www.fjbirds.org/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=16106 - this link has broken since I downloaded the image)
- EL FieldPro vs EL Swarovsion (from your link)

John

Attachments

• EL left, EL SV right.jpg
    EL left, EL SV right.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 298
  • FieldPro left, pre-FieldPro right.jpg
    FieldPro left, pre-FieldPro right.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
I picked up the 8.5x42 Fpro used a while back and could not be happier with it. It really has a fantastic view. I also appreciate the near focus, as I often use them out my breakfast window to some nearby flowers with bees. I've not used the previous gen, so cannot tell you the difference. The Fpro really feels good in the hands and is very well balanced.

I also have the Zeiss HT 10x42, which I also love, but if I had to have only one, I'd pick the swaro.

Marc

I bought the Field Pro version about 15 months ago - exceedingly happy with mine. The Field Pro also has a slightly different lock on the dioptre adjustment and is arguably slightly more secure than the previous version, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker - the previous was fine.

Personally, I think the case that came with the previous version was better - more substantial and with an internal divider and pocket. The new case only has an open external pocket, and in my experience, the zip to the main compartment is not as easy to operate when the case is worn over the shoulder. I took this up with Swarovski, and they very kindly provided me with an older version. Incidentally, I have a feeling that both of these cases are made for Swarovski by Crumpler who make excellent quality camera cases - many of the construction details are similar, and the rather distinctive font used on the internal labels in the cases is identical.

If it were me, my choice would partly be governed by the price you're offered on the older version. Either is a superb instrument, and I think you'd be very satisfied with which ever you choose.

" I took this up with Swarovski, and they very kindly provided me with an older version."

That is the nice thing about Swarovski. The customer service is stellar! You pay more initially for the binoculars but it is worth it in the long run for the support and customer service you receive. It is kind of like a Swarovski Club and once you pay the entry fee you are a member for life and they take care of you no matter what. They are like no other binocular manufacturer I have experienced.

Last edited:
I like the old strap attachment system better--doesn't get in the way of my hand position and it doesn't allow the strap to get twisted, the way the new one can. I don't generally use rainguards etc, esp. on the objectives, and I prefer to pick my own case. The case I use for the 8.5x42 EL SV is the leather pouch made for the Zeiss 7x42 BGATP.

If the OP can get a late production pre-FP unit at a good price (I got one new for $1600), I'd say go for it!

--AP

No difference optically in the previous generation but there are several improvements in the latest or Field Pro model which I feel make it worth the difference. I personally like the new strap attachment system and straps. They are easier to adjust and remove. I also really like the new objective covers and the way they are designed as a part of the binocular so they won't come off. The new rain guard is nicer also and the new armour has a much nicer, richer feel to it that really feels nice in the hand. The newer case is also better designed IMO. I feel these improvements are definitely worth it to get the newer model Field Pro. If you going to pay that much for a binocular anyway why not pay a little more and get the best.

I agree!

Hi,
I've got two of the EL Swarovision(previous model) and three current-model EL Swarovision Field Pro binoculars. The EL Swarovision Field Pro MAY be called a EL 8.5X42 W B over there.

After I've had all five for a couple of years and optically there is no difference that I can tell. I've seen no test that has shown that either. No difference whatsoever and I would pick either model equally. I've had ZERO issues with the previous model. I have had an issue with the attached objective covers coming off/tearing off the current model which of course Swarovski took care of immediately. I do like the Field Pro system. I think it works great and allows me to change strap systems in less than 30 seconds. I have had no issues with the strap twisting. Concerning the cases....I tend to like the latest models smaller more compact size case better as it is easier to pack and takes up less room.

The new model probably looks a little better to me. If I could save at least 20% on a previous model it would probably be worth that.

In pic below current model right, previous model left.

Attachments

• DSC_0474.JPG
    DSC_0474.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 261
Thank you for all your answers !!!

We decide to take the previous model.
400 € saved ....for the following challenge : a spoting scope.

We hesitated between the Swaro BTX 92 and the new Zeiss Harpia.
We think to take the Swaro BTX 92.

Summary of EL FieldPro changes

At the risk of the accusation of pedantry, it seems convenient to document in this thread the full range of changes to the FieldPro version of the EL Swarovision
Although they are minor and most relate to the covering in one way or another, there is one change to the main mechanism
(thanks to MandoBear who drew my attention to this, see post #6)

The changes comprise . . .

The covering, including it’s colour, texture and contouring around the focuser area
And the placement of the logos (on the FieldPro the Swarovski label is now on the side of the left hand barrel)

The neck strap attachment system (which is integrated in the covering)

The hinged objective covers (which also attach to the covering)

The focuser’s pattern of grooving and colour

AND a new diopter lock incorporated in the focuser
The new lock has a twist and pull mechanism verses the previous pull style
Since users of the FieldPro typically don’t comment on this feature, it’s seemingly transparent in use
(and of course the earlier version was not noted for being prone to accidental disengagement)

I’ve attached three images:

A comparison of the EL Swarovision and the EL FieldPro
(this is of course Chuck’s photo from post #10
- and with apology to Chuck, I did a some image processing to make clearer the colour differences between the 2 coverings)

A photo from the EL FieldPro catalogue explaining the diopter lock - unfortunately the markings on the focuser cover are not clear
(the 2.2 MB catalogue can be found here: https://aa.swarovskioptik.com/customer_service?contentid=10007.466400 )

A photo more clearly showing the diopter lock markings on the focuser cover
(it’s from CloudyNights: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/533571-swarovski-el-10x50-wb-swarovision/?p=7199790
- again I did some processing, this time to make the markings clearer)

John

Attachments

• EL SV verses EL FieldPro.jpg
    EL SV verses EL FieldPro.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 175
  • Catalogue re Diopter lock.jpg
    Catalogue re Diopter lock.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 171
  • Diopter Lock.jpg
    Diopter Lock.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Nice writeup, John. I never realized there were that many differences between the Field Pro Swarovision and the older Gen II Swarovision.

Last edited:
It looks good John!

I JUST pulled out those exact two binoculars...I sure can't tell ANY difference in the diopter between them.

A great thread with lots of helpful info - should this be considered a sticky as it provides the chronology all in one place

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

We hesitated between the Swaro BTX 92 and the new Zeiss Harpia.
We think to take the Swaro BTX 92.
We tried that BTX once, it's pretty amazing. Only thing is, you have to keep adjusting the interpupillary distance to share with different observers. (Still resisting a spotting scope ourselves.)

AND a new diopter lock incorporated in the focuser
The new lock has a twist and pull mechanism verses the previous pull style
Since users of the FieldPro typically don’t comment on this feature, it’s seemingly transparent in use
I JUST pulled out those exact two binoculars...I sure can't tell ANY difference in the diopter between them.
I too haven't heard of a different "twist and pull" mechanism on the FP diopter, and am unsure how that would even work. I suspect the knob just looks a bit different but still works the same way.

I too haven't heard of a different "twist and pull" mechanism on the FP diopter, and am unsure how that would even work. I suspect the knob just looks a bit different but still works the same way.

Trust me, the mechanism is different - it has a lock which can be engaged, or not, as one wishes. Hopefully, this extract from the EL Field Pro manual makes things clearer...

The focusing knob now has a "cap" which can be rotated 180 degrees independently of the knob itself and this serves to lock or unlock the ability to pull up the knob and adjust the dioptre setting in the usual way.

Attachments

• Swaro EL-BA Manual-lock.jpg
    Swaro EL-BA Manual-lock.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 74
Trust me, the mechanism is different - it has a lock which can be engaged, or not, as one wishes. Hopefully, this extract from the EL Field Pro manual makes things clearer...
Yes, thanks! I hadn't heard about that. I've only handled a FP once and its knob must have been unlocked, as I was able to pop it up/down normally for adjustment and thought no further about it.

No difference optically in the previous generation but there are several improvements in the latest or Field Pro model which I feel make it worth the difference. I personally like the new strap attachment system and straps. They are easier to adjust and remove. I also really like the new objective covers and the way they are designed as a part of the binocular so they won't come off. The new rain guard is nicer also and the new armour has a much nicer, richer feel to it that really feels nice in the hand. The upgraded armour alone is worth the price difference in the Field Pro model. The newer case is also improved with a simpler design and it is more compact. I feel these improvements are definitely worth it to get the newer model Field Pro. If you going to pay that much for a binocular anyway why not pay a little more and get the best.

Thats ok for ones who likes a straps, but for those who like a harness its been a little difficult, because even today is hard to find some kind of adapters for harnesses.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back