Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nesting White Storks, Sussex

Old Saturday 8th June 2019, 06:42   #1
gambirder
Kev Roy

Nesting White Storks, Sussex

What's the deal with the Knepp White Storks? Difficult to get clear info on whether the birds that are nesting are true wild birds attracted by the clipped-wing birds, or escapees...

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-for-centuries
Old Saturday 8th June 2019, 10:39   #2
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

I just assumed it is two of the birds they have 're-introduced' ie let go.

I am all for re-wilding but feel that wildlife should be allowed to find and colonise the areas naturally rather than being introduced. Somehow I think it would have taken a long while for White Storks to do so.

Steve
Old Saturday 8th June 2019, 10:39   #3
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambirder View Post
What's the deal with the Knepp White Storks? Difficult to get clear info on whether the birds that are nesting are true wild birds attracted by the clipped-wing birds, or escapees...

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-for-centuries
I imagine that is deliberate. The more they can blur the line, the more they can claim they are encouraging wild birds back rather than conducting a vanity project with a species that could well return on its own if the environment encouraged it.

John
Old Saturday 8th June 2019, 20:52   #4
dwallace

A tatty looking White Stork turned up on my patch at Posbrook a year or two back and the fact that it barely reacted when a dog walker got very close to it was not a good sign. It was traced back to Knepp.

Dave W
Old Saturday 8th June 2019, 21:33   #5
gambirder
Kev Roy

Thanks chaps. As I suspected, despite the suggestions in the Guardian and other national newspapers that this was the first wild breeding in the UK for 600 years...
Old Sunday 9th June 2019, 00:14   #6
fugl
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
I imagine that is deliberate. The more they can blur the line, the more they can claim they are encouraging wild birds back rather than conducting a vanity project with a species that could well return on its own if the environment encouraged it.
We are truly in the Age of the Conspiracy Theorist. . ..

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 9th June 2019, 09:52   #7
davercox
Dave Cox
BF Supporter 2019

Apparently Springwatch will tell us all abaht it Monday evening. It'll be interesting to see what line they take.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 9th June 2019, 10:13   #8
dantheman
Bah humbug

Saw this documentary on the subject last week. May help to fill in a few gaps in the meantime -

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4624424/
Old Wednesday 12th June 2019, 10:26   #9
davercox
Dave Cox
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by davercox View Post
Apparently Springwatch will tell us all abaht it Monday evening. It'll be interesting to see what line they take.
OK, so it was Tuesday. I was a bit surprised Chris Packham was so enthusiastic about this project, but maybe I shouldn't have been.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 12th June 2019, 11:55   #10
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwallace View Post
A tatty looking White Stork turned up on my patch at Posbrook a year or two back and the fact that it barely reacted when a dog walker got very close to it was not a good sign. It was traced back to Knepp.

Dave W
But beware, this one at a French Service station was pretty much eating out of people's hands, with dogs and children in the area. There were about 20 behaving similar,

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Old Wednesday 12th June 2019, 12:19   #11
Adey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.jones View Post
But beware, this one at a French Service station was pretty much eating out of people's hands, with dogs and children in the area. There were about 20 behaving similar,

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Indeed! https://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sh...14/ppuser/1805

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 12th June 2019, 12:39   #12
GWB77
Grafham Water Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by davercox View Post
OK, so it was Tuesday. I was a bit surprised Chris Packham was so enthusiastic about this project, but maybe I shouldn't have been.
My thoughts too (on his enthusiasm levels). The fact the birds are 'prevented' from migrating during their first few years only adds to the oddness of this project. I'm hesitant to use the phrase 'vanity project', but it seemed to be heading that way.

Personally, I think projects like this (and similar) are a waste of conservation/private funds and effort. Does it distract us from looking at a whole-habitat solution, by concentrating on some sort of micro-conservation instead (for "almost-native" species!)?

White Storks are cosmopolitan across much of Europe.

Head-started Godwits and Curlews are much more relevant and worth-while projects (in my humble opinion).
Old Wednesday 12th June 2019, 18:29   #13
Original PaulE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB77 View Post
My thoughts too (on his enthusiasm levels). The fact the birds are 'prevented' from migrating during their first few years only adds to the oddness of this project. I'm hesitant to use the phrase 'vanity project', but it seemed to be heading that way.

Personally, I think projects like this (and similar) are a waste of conservation/private funds and effort. Does it distract us from looking at a whole-habitat solution, by concentrating on some sort of micro-conservation instead (for "almost-native" species!)?

White Storks are cosmopolitan across much of Europe.

Head-started Godwits and Curlews are much more relevant and worth-while projects (in my humble opinion).
Knepp is more than White Storks, vanity project or not, they are rewilding and plenty of species are benefitting it is becoming a great place for birding. I had a great walk round a couple of weeks ago, although look out for the cows they are a bit feisty!!
It is also excellent for Butterflies, with Purple Hairstreak, Purple Emperor and White Admiral all doing well.

Cheers

Paul
Old Thursday 13th June 2019, 08:45   #14
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

I applaud the idea of rewilding large areas such as the Knepp estate but I would be much happier if wildlife was left to find and utilise the habitat rather than being introduced.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: